Release note content:
Here are the highlights of Cargo Core 0.9:
- Added new Packager interface and a first implementation for Tomcat.
- Added DataSource configuration support to Standalone configurations for containers: XXXX
The full list of all issues fixed and features implemented is available below.
Please note that version 0.9 has broken some APIs as explained below in the migration guide. This is the last 0.X version before the 1.0 release and we took the opportunity to fix the API now rather than to go through a lengthy and difficult deprecation strategy (which we'll use once 1.0 is out). We apologize to all our early users for this.
Migration guide from 0.8 to 0.9
This sections lists the principal differences in Cargo 0.9 which you may require you to modify the way you use Cargo. The full list of changes is shown below in the Clirr section.
- Several methods have had their signature changed to use String instead of File or to return String instead of file. This is true for example for InstalledLocalContainer.getHome()/setHome() and for lots of others. The reason is that File was too restrictive and we wanted the opportunity of allowing in the future any location where files can be saved. For example we have started making it possible to use Commons VFS to allow getting/saving files to virtually anywhere (inside JARs, Zips, on a FTP server, etc). This feature is not enabled right now as support for it isn't finished. But we had to make this change before Cargo goes 1.0.
- JSR88 classes have been removed from the distribution as they were not working. The original author of Cargo's JSR88 support hasn't participated to the project for a very long time now and we didn't get anyone to carry over his work. Thus we've temporarily moved JSR88 to the sandbox, waiting for someone to provide some love to it in order to bring it back in the Cargo distribution.
- Factories APIs have been homogeneized and thus some method signatures have slightly changed. See below.
- Big refactoring of the Module API. This will only affects direct users of this API.
This is the report generated by Clirr on the different Cargo Core APIs:
- Core Container API
- Core Generic API
- Core Module API
- Core Util API
- JBoss API
- Jetty API
- Jo API
- Orion API
- Resin API
- Tomcat API
- WebLogic API
Core Container API
Core Generic API
Core Module API
Core Util API