Blog from August, 2008

The GeoTools 2.5-RC0 release candidate is available for download:

The GeoTools 2.5 series is reaching stability. The target 2.5.0 release is centred around making a new Feature model available. The new feature model is based on formal GeoAPI interfaces and will allow the library to evolve into supporting complex data structures.

GeoTools 2.5 also targets graduation as an OSGeo (The Open Source Geospatial Foundation) project, and includes usability and performance improvements, preview version for the new Swing Widgets, and online and downloadable User Guide, an ISO 19107 Geometry implementation available as a supported module, new GPX DataStore, a much more robust ArcSDE DataStore, and JAXB Bindings for xml marshaling of GeoAPI ISO-19115 metadata structures.

This first release candidate of the series brings bug fixes related to raster coverage rendering, data access, ArcSDE, some improvements on the project build process, and the finalization of the switch to the new GeoAPI Feature Model (though remember 2.5 still focuses on Simple Features only).

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on our new Feature model. This release contains several usability improvements based on your feedback; thanks also go out to Andrea and Justin who spent some time making the switch to the GeoAPI Feature Model passing GeoServer CITE tests, and to Jody for improving our build system.

Not to forget, a big thanks to Geomatys, GeoSolutions, Refractions Research, OpenGeo and the community for continuously leveraging the project and making it such a success every day!

Features from 2.5-RC0:

  • Feature Model switch to GeoAPI completed with passing CITE tests from GeoServer as sanity check
  • Some major bug fixes related to raster coverage rendering, ArcSDE, and Filter to SQL simplification
  • Build system improvements

Features from 2.5-M3:

  • OSGeo gradudation! All the headers have changed and we now track license use on a module by module basis
  • Usability and Performance improvements to the Feature
  • FeatureCollection no longer implements SimpleFeature or Collection; removal associated implementation classes such as ResourceCollection

Features from 2.5-M2:

  • JAXB bindings for the metadata module (ie support for ISO 19139 documents)
  • FeatureAccess super class for DataStore, allowing data access using ISO

Features from 2.5-M1:

  • Change over to GeoAPI SimpleFeature
  • Support GetGMLObject
  • Preview of new Swing Widgets (and a warm welcome to Eclesia)

Features from 2.5-M0:

  • Online User Guide
  • Java 5
  • Improved CRSAuthorityFactory implementations available for Java Enterprise Edition users
  • ISO 19107 Geometry implementation available as a supported module
  • DB2 returns to supported status
  • ArcSDE returns to supported status
  • GeometryBuilder utility class
  • A new GPX DataStore

Release Notes:

For more information please visit:

If you are new to GeoTools please consider this release as a good starting point, although the 2.4.x remains the stable branch we have no planned API changes and user documentation available for the 2.5.x series.

Enjoy,
The GeoTools Community

IRC Logs August 25th

Agenda:

  1. What is up
  2. 2.5.0-RC0 status
  3. svn uptime

Actions:

  • groldan is working on the 2.5-RC0 release and needs help with mvn assembly
  • jgarnett is making a Move to another Server proposal

jgarnett* good morning
jgarnett (sorry I am late...)
jgarnett do we have agenda topics?
Eclesia doesnt have any
Eclesia hi jody
jgarnett has changed the topic to "0) what is up 1) 2.5.0-RC0 status"
jgarnett groldan ping? You did want to talk about 2.5.0-RC0 right?
groldan hi, sure
jgarnett has changed the topic to "0) what is up 1) 2.5.0-RC0 status 2) svn uptime"
aaime Hi
jgarnett Do you have anything for the meeting andrea? You have been asking interesting questions about SDO and Oracle
jgarnett But perhaps we should just start ...
aaime yup
jgarnett 0) what is up
aaime is looking into JDBCDataStore again and working on some GS/MS benchmarks
groldan is trying to figure out how to assembly without unsupported modules
Eclesia nothing special
jgarnett jgarnett - testing 2.5-RC0, check user guide sample code (and assorted udig/gwc stuff)
groldan aaime: what's an MS benchmark?
jgarnett I think he means "Map Server"
aaime yep
jgarnett now that pramsey is making it faster; andrea has some work to do.
aaime ha ha, indeed
jgarnett if it would help Andrea we can try and keep pramsey drunk on this end ...
aaime no no
jgarnett I know where he lives; a bottle of scotch placed on his doorstep should do it...
aaime if he insists optimizing a C based rendering he'll eventually win but.. I'm not ready to give up just yet (smile)
jgarnett 1) 2.5.0-RC0 status
jgarnett groldan how is it happening?
groldan hi
groldan well it seems assembly did assemble everything
groldan I'm looking now if a mvn clean install (without -Dall) first
jgarnett okay
groldan makes it assemble only the supported modules
aaime yeah, that's my guess as well, I believe assembly just lumps up all the jars ending up in target
groldan was stuck for a while due to the refractions repo being down, but its fixed now
groldan confirmation in 10 secs.. just finished
groldan right
aaime jgarnett, how is it going on trunk vs udig?
jgarnett it is going fine
jgarnett it seems that udig is the major source of change; as we find and fix problems
jgarnett I want to see the FeatureEvents cleaned up over time; but I am mostly driven by customer problems (so my chance to work on stuff depends on how annoying any given problem is)
groldan could you check if that's the correct list of modules to include?: http://pastebin.ca/1184407
jgarnett It is not
jgarnett see: geotools-2.5-SNAPSHOT/gt-oracle-spatial-2.5-SNAPSHOT.jar
jgarnett that should not be included.
aaime curious, how is it oracle is in there, and mif is not?
groldan or rather a sorted version: http://pastebin.ca/1184409
aaime (a sorted list... thanks!)
jgarnett so yeah; that list has too much stuff in it
jgarnett I assume those items do not build when you do a: mvn clean install ?
groldan lets see
jgarnett I am trying to figure out if you have everyting
jgarnett martin made the change to remove "Validation"
groldan seems not: http://pastebin.ca/1184412
jgarnett I made the change to chunk the unsupported modules into profiles
jgarnett I concur - that is a better list.
jgarnett .. so there must be something about "assembly" we do not understand?
groldan this is what assembly is trying to build: http://pastebin.ca/1184417
groldan question:
groldan mvn clean install is building swing widgets
groldan isn't that on unsupported?
groldan so the problem may be with install rather than assembly?
Eclesia there are 2 swing widgets
groldan ah ah
Eclesia siwng widgets and swing widgets pending
Eclesia pending is in unsupported
jgarnett there are two swing widgets; one in unsupported; and one in extensions
jgarnett yeah what he said.
groldan hmmm the list of modules to build on install and assembly seems equal
aaime so, it seems this topic is killing the meeting? (smile)
jgarnett okay so we are a bit stuck on this; perhaps we can try with a small example module? I am not finding anything in the maven docs...
jgarnett let us return to this topic on IRC after the meeting
jgarnett 2) svn uptime
jgarnett I have talked to Jeff
jgarnett and we have no good way to keep our server from going down (sad)
aaime ok, time to move to osgeo ones?
jgarnett our service provider is not being that helpful; we can hope that rebuilding the server will "fix" the problem
jgarnett but that is just a hope?
jgarnett So I would say time to move to codehaus ones
jgarnett (since we are short on volunteer time around here?)
aaime and moving on codehaus is easier/better than osgeo?
jgarnett geoserver is managing to use codehaus svn are they not?
jgarnett it offers single sign on with our wiki
jgarnett so ... yes.
aaime right
jgarnett (and we do not have to maintain it ... I would much rather have everyone here working on code then servers)
aaime yes, we had problems over one year ago for a couple of weeks (not continuosly) but that's all
jgarnett however I am open to both options; the above is just my take on the matter.
jgarnett I would also like to see if we can use codehaus for some of the repository duties?
jgarnett I know geoserver deploys to a codehaus repo right?
aaime we can
aaime GeoServer has webdav support
aaime and a repo as well
aaime (two different addresses I believe)
jgarnett I am going to tough it out on the udig project a while longer (sad) But udig also has a wiki and svn space on codehaus.
jgarnett But I will bring the issue up in thursday's udig meeting as well.
jgarnett So what do we need here? We need a change proposal; and we need volunteers to help with the move.
aaime yep
jgarnett This is one activity where I cannot volunteer on; running svn is not my forte.
jgarnett I am hoping others have more/better experience?
aaime I have never run a server myself either
aaime (a svn server)
jgarnett Andrea are you in a good position to make a change proposal?
aaime noe
aaime nope
jgarnett If I write it up it will be very shy on the details
jgarnett hrm
jgarnett it is going to be a tie
jgarnett between downtime from refractions server being hit by scripts
jgarnett and downtime from making the change?
jgarnett I am going to do all I can to get some sys admin time to bundle up the geotools svn ...
aaime ok, first let's find someone willing to make the switch
jgarnett Well we can make the proposal
aaime can you just write a mail to gt2-devel asking for a volounteer?
jgarnett and just not vote on it until we round up enough volunteers.
jgarnett yeah.
aaime jgarnett++
jgarnett okay
jgarnett that is it for the agenda
jgarnett I can post the logs
jgarnett and if I can ask people to leave this window open
jgarnett and help groldan get 2.5.0-RC0 out (because battling maven is no fun)
groldan yeah
jgarnett groldan I checked out 2.5.x in order to help; it is building now...
groldan cool, here too

0. Whats Up
1. 2.5.0 Release
2. Unsupported Module Handling

jdeolive has changed the topic to ``1) 2.5.0 release''
aaime has changed the topic to ``0) What's up 1) 2.5.0 release''
<aaime> ok, I added my topic, we're even (wink)
Eclesia has no topic to give
groldan is now known as groldan|holiday
<jdeolive> ping aaime, acuster, afabiani_ , cbriancon , Eclesia , simboss , vheurteaux
<jdeolive> hi all, meeting time, jody asked me to run
<jdeolive> anyone have any agenda items?
<afabiani_> hello
<aaime> jdeolive, what are you still doing at the keyboard?
<aaime> run! (smile)
<jdeolive> (smile)
<jdeolive> aaime: (tongue)
<jdeolive> (wink)
<jdeolive> ok, lets start
<simboss> pong
<jdeolive> 0) whats up
jdeolive is working on getting gs 1.7.0 out, requiring gt 2.5.0
aaime is reading mail and looking around after a week vacation, also getting ready to go to foss4g 2008
Eclesia playing with rendering
<simboss> hating python right now
<jdeolive> ok moving on...
<jdeolive> 1) 2.5.0 release
<--| Mediii has left #geotools ("Leaving.")
<jdeolive> not much to say here... we hope to release 2.5.0 by the end of the week
<jdeolive> jody has a few things to get out of the way for this release.... so i figure we give him a few days to do that
<aaime> I guess the crucial issue is to leave out of the downloads the unsupported modules?
<jdeolive> and tehen release toward the end of the week
<jdeolive> correct
<jdeolive> right, his proposal
<aaime> but we're ok deploying them to maven repo right?
<jdeolive> http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTOOLS/Handling+of+Unsupported+Modules
<jdeolive> aaime: yes, i believe that is the idea
<jdeolive> leave them out of the release, but available to the other projects that need them
<aaime> I'm ok with that proposal
<jdeolive> as am i
<aaime> just
<aaime> we have to make sure the build servers build with -Dall
<aaime> like, when you make an api/behaviour change
<aaime> what are you supposed to check?
<aaime> if unsupported is out of the build
<jdeolive> or... have all build by default
<jdeolive> and have the "release profile" limit the modules
<aaime> if you can do that, it would be ideal imho
<jdeolive> agreed,
<jdeolive> i also don
<jdeolive> t see why the property all is used... rather then just directly invoking the profile
<jdeolive> its my experience that profiles work better when invoked directly... rather then relying on a property
<aaime> yeah, agreed, using the profile directly it's more direct
<jdeolive> ok... so two bits of feedback thus far?
<aaime> less troublesome
<jdeolive> 1) invoke profile directly
<jdeolive> 2) have unsupported included by default, make release filter them out
<aaime> jdeolive, afaik maven profiles are "addictive", in that they only override/add config
<aaime> so we should have a default profile that uses everything
<jdeolive> addictive = additive?
<aaime> yeah sorry
<jdeolive> (smile)
<aaime> (once you start using profiles, they get addictive as well)
<jdeolive> they can be quite addicting too though, once you start you cant stop!!!
<jdeolive> (smile)
<aaime> anyways, that's a little troublesome
<aaime> since we may have other profiles that do not have anything to do with the unsupported modules build
<aaime> and they will interefere with the eventual default profile there... bah...
<jdeolive> yeah... it seems profiles in gt are a bit of a mess at the moment
<jdeolive> pending, archive, unsupported.... now release
<jdeolive> i see trouble on the horizon as well
<aaime> ah,t hat's probably why Jody is using variables
<taichimaro> merci Eclesia
<aaime> afaik you can have two profiles activate/deactivate according to the presence of a certain system variable
<jdeolive> correct
<taichimaro> tu fais vraiment bcp de choses qui aident
<taichimaro> merci
Eclesia slaps taichimaro
<taichimaro> haha pq
<Eclesia> chutttt, meeting time
<taichimaro> (big grin)
<jdeolive> which is where they have an opportunity to trip each other up
<aaime> Meh, if we use a default profile any other profile activating will kill it thought
<aaime> Description of "activeByDefault" says: This profile will automatically be active for all builds unless another profile in the same pom is activated using one of the previously described methods.
<aaime> http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-profiles.html
<jdeolive> yup... which is why i like the direct profile approach, activating profiles by default should be banned imho
<aaime> which means we'll need to always build gt2 with -Pall?
jdeolive prefers getting only what he asks for
<aaime> afaik all the trouble arises from the hypothesis that's not possible to remove modules from a build using profiles, only adding them
<jdeolive> aaime: i dont think thats true
<jdeolive> you can ovveride the entire modules section can you not?
jdeolive could be wrong
<jdeolive> actually i think i am wrong
<jdeolive> sorry
<aaime> mumble, when we use profiles in gs, we have a modules section for each
<aaime> and they are additive
<jdeolive> right right
jdeolive slaps himself
<aaime> so?
<jdeolive> maybe we should have an unsupported profile then...
<jdeolive> and by default not build unsupported modules...
<aaime> right
aaime hopes that devs will remember to add the profile to build everything
<aaime> One thing that we should make clear in the proposal is that
<aaime> if you break the build with a change and the error is in an unsupported module
<aaime> the build is broken for good
<aaime> What I fear is that people will get the message "unsupported modules are none of our concern, not even build wise, anymore"
<jdeolive> correct, we should ensure that is not the case
<jdeolive> i think having the build server yell at them should do a decent job of that
<jdeolive> buut agreed
<jdeolive> we should make it clear in the proposal
<aaime> cool
<aaime> well, hopefully jgarnett will read the logs
<aaime> anything else?
<jdeolive> nope, i think thats it
<jdeolive> unless anyone else has anything?
<aaime> nope
<jdeolive> cool, lets call it a meeting then (smile)
<jdeolive> i will post the logs
<aaime> thx (smile)

IRC Logs August 11th

Agenda
0) what is up
1) verifier
2) poml.xml management for unsupported modules
3) GenericName vs Name

Action Items:

  • desruisseaux: will remove verifier from trunk and 2.5.x
  • jgarnett: will write up a proposal for handling unsupported modules

jgarnett* good morning
jgarnett This page still shows us meeting 3 hours from now
jgarnett - http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOT/3.1+Internet+Relay+Chat
jgarnett going to go over the past logs and figure out what to update the page to

desruisseaux (n=chatzill@mtd203.teledetection.fr) has joined #geotools

Eclesia (n=Administ@79.94.62.199) has joined #geotools

Eclesia (hi all)
desruisseaux Hi Eclesia
jgarnett good morning;
jgarnett it is meeting time.
jgarnett Shall we gather up some topics and get going ...
cbriancon hi
jgarnett 0) what is up 1) verifier 2) pom.xml management
jgarnett While we start I would like to thank Christian Muller for expanding his roll in the project; it is great to have

someone able to hunt down and squish ibm JRE related issues.
jgarnett does anyone else have topics for todays meeting?
desruisseaux not on my side
jgarnett okay it has been fine minuets so we should start.
jgarnett I am going to send a reminder email
jgarnett and I have updated the developers guide to reflect this meeting time:
jgarnett http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOT/3.1+Internet+Relay+Chat
jgarnett okay let's get our game on
jgarnett 0) what is up
acuster acuster---learning referencing for real this time, trying to understand what mathematical space(s) geometric

analysis needs to happen
jgarnett jgarnett - apparently breaking the 2.5.x build trying to sort our verifier and release artifact creation.

Reviewing 2.5.x proposals and user gide in anticipation of a 2.5.0 release. Looking into OGR bundling issues for udig and

generally being busy.
desruisseaux Martin: working in parrallel on ISO 19103 names and on mosaic work on 180,000 tiles.
jgarnett Sounds like you guys are having fun; thanks for the nice summary of naming issues on the geoapi mailing list

acuster.
jgarnett going to do a couple of pings and then carry on with the meeting
jgarnett jdolive ping
jgarnett groldan ping
emily_g emily: I made a few updates to the image mosaic code to allow additional styling parameters to be applied to the

images
jgarnett (I had really hoped to see simone as he is reviewing some of Emily's image-moasic work)
jgarnett 1) verifier
jgarnett We seem to be caught in a build loop on this one; it hits me every time we tag and try to make a release.
desruisseaux I suggest to just delete verifier.
jgarnett I was hoping we could use the build plugins to try out your ideas of "fixed version numbers" Martin.
acuster kill it
jgarnett okay that is a nice clear direction.
jgarnett thinking
acuster it doesn't catch our errors at the right time
jgarnett it did initially serve a value; it helped us find problems when we moved svn around right?
jgarnett (sorry for the review I am trying to make sure I have a good reason to vote to kill it; rather than just

annoyance you see)
desruisseaux When we move module directory? Yes it serves that purpose.
jgarnett can we make it an option? much like we did for code reformatting?

simboss (n=chatzill@host227-15-dynamic.27-79-r.retail.telecomitalia.it) has joined #geotools

jgarnett ie it would be nice to "verify" next time we move svn around ...
jgarnett this is a yes/no question .... I suspect we should probably kill it as well.
acuster too much work and no one cares enough to do it
jgarnett okay
jgarnett shall we move on ... wait this should give us an action item.
jgarnett I can remove it from trunk/
jgarnett not sure I have a 2.5.x checkout at work.
jgarnett do I have a volunteer with a 2.5.x checkout?
desruisseaux I can do the removal.
desruisseaux Will do it on both trunk and 2.5 branch.
jgarnett okay thanks martin
jgarnett and thanks for writing it up as well; it really did help during our svn group/name wrangling.
jgarnett 2) pom.xml management

awp_ has left freenode ("O.o")

jgarnett we ran into an issue with management unsupported/pom.xml last week.
jgarnett We have no clear guidelines on how to handle unsupported/pom.xml
jgarnett and we get in trouble over it every couple of months
jgarnett removing broken modules from the build; adding stuff to the build that takes too long to test
jgarnett and removing modules from the build that people are using.
jgarnett In general I expect PMC members to handle this as general "community support"
jgarnett (indeed the entire unsupported module experiment falls under "community support").
jgarnett So I got a question - are we doing okay on this topic as it stands? Or do we need to look into setting down some

procedures.
jgarnett For reference I had 3 developers go idle when we were messing around with unsupported/imageio-ext last week. So I

need to be able to tell management that we are handling this as a project
jgarnett and not wasting developer time.
jgarnett comments?
simboss honestly
simboss if we had followed the procedures
simboss nothing would have happened
simboss I think that was a matter of obstructionism vs procedures
jgarnett we have lots of procedures about modules (and letting each module maintainer work)
jgarnett but very little about the entire build system - other than to say it is the kind of thing PMC is responsible for.
simboss well
simboss as a baseline
simboss I would not expect people to take decisions without communication
simboss like it happened for the imageio-ext thing last week
jgarnett indeed; however it has been known to happen and known to be justified (usually in the case of me removing a

broken unsupported module from the build)
simboss that is specific compelling case
simboss which we could write down
simboss anybody can do that
jgarnett I am going over the developers guide and am seeing very little about a communication requirement; my assumption

here is that the PMC will to communicate.
simboss as a baseline I think
simboss that only cause for removing something from the build right away
simboss should be
simboss breaking the build
simboss everything else should need communication
simboss or better
simboss the module maintainer should have some degree of freedom
simboss the others a bit less
simboss but still
simboss I would not like to have someone
simboss remove a module
simboss even its own
simboss without notice
jgarnett I understand simboss; however we are in new territory here with both handling the pom.xml file and handling

unsupported modules.
jgarnett my default assumption is the module maintainer is responsible for their entry in the pom.xml.

cbriancon has left freenode ("Leaving.")

jgarnett I got in trouble for adding Ecleisa's work to the build when he was not ready for example.
jgarnett he was kind about it; but I was probably out of line. From my standpoint it was hard to collaborate with him if

his work was never in the build.
jgarnett I think we eventually used a profile to iron out that situtation.
jgarnett okay the fact that we have managed to talk for a few mins probably means the documentation / polices here can use

some work.
acuster Jody, I told you that I would trust your judgement, but if your solution implies that (1) anyone can propose a

unsupported module (2) that module can introduce any dependency and (3) that code gets deployed onto my hard drive, then I

am very vulnerable to the sloppiness of others
jgarnett acuster; it is true - we are taking on some up front risk and pain; in the hopes of pulling in new developers
jgarnett (and finding maintainers for code we would otherwise throw away)
jgarnett so far there are two downsides
jgarnett the risk you mention
jgarnett and for our existing developers to just make use of unsupported modules; because it is less work
simboss I am sorry acuster but I think you are shooting at a fly with cannonball
simboss we must be careful
simboss with the dependencies of the core libraries
simboss as we should have been with jaxb
simboss but as of plugins
jgarnett About the only strict restriction we have mentioned up front here is asking people not to commit data or jars

into the repository.
simboss it is quite simple
simboss dont want, don't use
simboss yeah
jgarnett it is not quite that simple simboss
simboss jgarnett++
jgarnett we are expecting people to checkout
simboss it is never simple
simboss but we need to move
jgarnett and include in their own build
jgarnett work they may not be interested in.
simboss somehow
acuster so why don't we throw all of unsupported into a profile
simboss I am fine with profiles
jgarnett we do that because we want as many eyes on the problem of api change and breaking stuff as we can get.
acuster that way I don't have to use any of it
simboss actually
acuster since I don't trust it
jgarnett acuster++
simboss that's how we handled the thing since the beginning
simboss we might have to ask aaime also
simboss to check if we are with the geoserver procedures
acuster yes, it was a strange decision to throw your work into the build with no warning
jgarnett simboss we have not been quite that strict; unsupported modules such as oracle have stayed in the build because

they are important to geoserver and udig as products.
simboss acuster: I agree
simboss but again
simboss building something routinely
simboss it does not mean
simboss we do not have to use profiles
CIA-35 desruisseaux * r31163 /branches/2.5.x/ (build/maven/verifier/ pom.xml): Removed build/maven/verifier plugin from

the 2.5 branch. Its look like that it was already removed from trunk, so both should be less troublesome now.

dany_r has left freenode ("ChatZilla 0.9.81 Firefox 2.0.0.16/2008070205")

simboss for selecting specific parts out of the whole library

  • Eclesia going ++
    acuster so what are the down sides of having a profile for unsupported?
    jgarnett I got lost in double negatives
    *--| Eclesia has left #geotools
    simboss the imageio-ext will stay unsupported as long as the gdal version we are waiting for won't be released
    acuster -Punsupported pulls them all in
    jgarnett the downside is we could break some code with out noticing.
    jgarnett the upsides are a reduced build time
    simboss yeah
    simboss a lot!
    simboss (smile)
    jgarnett and a reason for unsupported modules to want to upgrade their status.
    acuster but our response to breaking the code is to pull the module from the build anyhow, no?
    simboss but we could also have some specific profiles
    simboss to pull in only some of them
    simboss of course!
    jgarnett okay this is giving me some material to work with
    jgarnett I will write up a proposal for the handling of unsupported modules
    simboss if the geoserver guys wants to build with imageio.-ext enabled
    simboss they can do that
    simboss like we do
    simboss but as rule of thumb
    simboss we should build with most of them disabled
    simboss sorry
    jgarnett to really clarify it is an svn "work in progress space"; the contents are only enabled through profiles; and none

of it shows up in our prepackaged downloads.
simboss all of them
simboss yeah
simboss I agree
simboss so that everyone is happy
jgarnett martin / acuster feedback?
jgarnett I don't want to spend time writing up a proposal if this is going to be a stupid idea.
jgarnett desruisseaux ping?
desruisseaux Yes
jgarnett I am thinking of writing up a proposal about unsupported module handling; I was going to get a sanity check from

you before starting.
acuster personally, I like the idea of having them all out of the build
jgarnett the idea is to push the unsupported modules out of the build; only using profiles to add them in. And clarify the

fact that we don't ship them.
acuster and an easy way to include them all for those who want to see what they have broken
jgarnett acuster++ this does sound like a good way to handle this.
acuster it will make the transition to supported even more fun
jgarnett okay I will write this up and we can revise via email.
simboss i would also like to have the ability to turn my own module
simboss just in case
desruisseaux The above proposal (maven profile) can be a good mid-term compromise. A longer term approach may be to split

the SVN on two separated versionning system: "core geotools" and "experimental", with the experimental modules depending on

core milestones rather than snapshots.
acuster but the issue of what unsupported modules are allowed to pull in still seems relevant as long as the code uses a

centralized versioning system
simboss to do selective build
jgarnett simboss I was thinking of leaving that in the hands of the module maintainer? That makes sense does it not?
simboss it is perfect
jgarnett martin if possible I would like to use the same svn; remember my goal is as much getting new developers as

getting more code.
acuster martin, I like that. We should think about setting up a dummy maven and directory layout so users can (1) build a

module that depends on the "core"
acuster then (2) integrate that someday into the 'core'
jgarnett acuster; your point is valid - can we address that when a module tries to become supported? Or do we want to put

down some guidelines like we have for committing data and writing test cases?
desruisseaux The "split SVN" proposal is a long-term one. Not for anytime soon, so we can come back on it later. In short

term, maven profile would work.
jgarnett understood
acuster when a module wants to be supported, there should be an explanation of what it does, what it pulls in, and other

issues, yeah.
simboss I agree.
jgarnett and docs (smile) (I always need to mention docs)
jgarnett okay guys that sonuds like a wrap for the meeting.
jgarnett Martin we had some issues with Java 6 and IBM JRE build failures
jgarnett is that anything we need to talk about?
acuster but regardless, modules, supported or not, have a responsibility to follow the law, and be careful about what they

are depending on, no?
jgarnett or can we put it off till later.
desruisseaux I saw the email. The Java 6 issues are actually existing for one year or so.
jgarnett acuster - see above - I was trying to ask you that. I think there are some limits (such as we run into with ESRI

jars)
jgarnett but we will need to carefully word the issues so it makes sense
jgarnett (I wrote a blog post http://how2map.blogspot.com/ on the topic but I am not sure anyone read it)
jgarnett but yeah I agree with you; there are limits on the dependencies allowed - we just need to figure out what they

are so we can communicate them well.
desruisseaux I will fix the Java 6 issues, since geotidy is targeting Java 6 - so there is no way I can work on

referencing without fixing those issues. It is just that I need to finish GeneralName and its friend before to move on

referencing, since referencing depends on it.
jgarnett I am interested in how you are planning to fix GeneralName
acuster (1) by not making it a repository system
acuster i.e. no pointers to object
jgarnett the relationship between GeneralName and Record is what pretty much stopped my agressive geoapi work.
acuster ah, I have been ignoring Record. (smile)
acuster Martin probably knows more
acuster and has javadoc links
desruisseaux http://geoapi.sourceforge.net/snapshot/javadoc/org/opengis/util/GenericName.html
jgarnett acuster++ (now if you can do this before 2.5.0 goes out we can kill org.opengis.feature.Name)
acuster aha, now that's incentive
desruisseaux Tried to clearify the meaning of "head", "tail", "path" and "tip" with a figure.
jgarnett the "name as repository / reflection" story is what stopped us cold (after three months emailing bryce)
acuster yeah, they want to do a catalog system in the identification system
acuster with basically no documentation
jgarnett acuster - yeah someone finally sees my conflict (smile)
acuster even if it could work, it's bad standards writing
jgarnett now that said they have a reason
jgarnett they actually want a catalog system
jgarnett (not an identification system)
jgarnett ie my take on it last time is we went into the standard looking for the wrong answer.
jgarnett I basically decided that the "Name" part of GenericName / LocalName was misleading us
jgarnett into thinking we were looking at an identification system.
acuster surely we can start with an id system and build a catalog system on it later?
jgarnett Thus I could justify the creation of org.opengis.feature.Name as an identification system.
acuster does record need a catalog system to work?
jgarnett yeah it basically demanded it
acuster if you have time to look at what martin has done
jgarnett the deegree people dodged the issue and made their Record extend Feature.
acuster you could tell us if it satisfies the feature system
jgarnett my best idea yet is to make our Name in geoapi an identificaiton system
acuster it's attempting to be merely an id system
jgarnett and advise people to use something like JNDI for their catalog / reflection system.
acuster yes, we can cross that river when we want to build a record bridge
jgarnett What is your timeline martin? I am not going to have time to review (seriously review) until next week
acuster who uses records anyhow?
jgarnett coverage
jgarnett and catalog should use it
jgarnett both problems have lead me against it (and to asking for help on the geoapi list) previously
jgarnett catalog is supposed to return records
acuster I don't think martin has dealt with the issue of separator yet
jgarnett records that are described me one or more metadata.
acuster yeah, so catalog is a bigger deal that we can tackle on its own
jgarnett I was meaning formal OGC Catalog spec.
jgarnett not the ISO GenericName / LocalName / Namespace split.
acuster it may be as simple as adding a sub-class to name-the-id-version
desruisseaux About my time frame: I'm working on name mid-time, since I have to work on a mosaic in same time. So it may

take me a week before I have an implementation to suggest.
acuster which has a .getObject() method
jgarnett acuster that may be a useful hack; it goes against a bit what the ISO spec is trying to do does it not?
jgarnett ie if I look at a record that has MemberName(s)
jgarnett the MemberName(s) actually are the child objects.
acuster perhaps you are right
jgarnett if we make a getObject() method
jgarnett it would demote them to being like Map.Entry
jgarnett (not that that would be a bad thing - the ISO spec seems really poorly thought out in terms of a split)
acuster again, I have happily ignored record
jgarnett or our thinking approach is wrong.
jgarnett okay please look into how people use Name; even what we have as FeatureType right now
acuster so maybe we split GenericName into two hiearachies, one for id and one for cataloguing
jgarnett is supposed to literally extend Name
jgarnett something
acuster ouch

awp_ (n=chatzill@mvx-200-142-99-114.mundivox.com) has joined #geotools

acuster okay, will take a look
jgarnett I wish I had a good approach to recommend acuster; we often talk about difficult problems together? This is a

problem that has kicked me down a few times.
jgarnett so I am really looking forward to a fresh pair of eyes.
acuster to prepare my seething for the next OGC meeting
jgarnett and sorting out Record / RecordType would immediately benefit the CoverageAPI which I find "unbelievable" in its

current form.
awp_ Hello all, how can I edit http://geotools.codehaus.org/The+axis+order+issue ? (Just to update the code example on

"What GeoTools Does", which is using FactoryFinder instead of CRS)
acuster yes we have all lost the battle with name several times over, you, Martin, Bryce, me, and probably justin and

gabriel
jgarnett hi awp; our meeting is just ending so can I ask you to hold your question for a few more moments?
awp_ sure thing, sorry about that
acuster awp_, on the front page there are instructions on how to signup for editing rights
acuster we are done?
jgarnett acuster I was going to try it again when I had beaten a formal set of Names (ie a vocabulary) out of someone like

RobA. And see if it all made sense if I started with the right problem for the API.
jgarnett right now we do a few horrible things to report back records out of coverages; and then I have watched our

mistakes get repeated.
acuster nice, we should do that (the beating RobA. part).
jgarnett but yeah I will stop ranting and write up the logs.
acuster thanks for running the meeting
jgarnett thanks for the productive chat.
jgarnett awp_ ping? the floor is yours.

As mentioned in the 2.5-M3 release anouncement yesterday - GeoTools has finally graduated from the OSGeo incubation process.

Here are a couple of news links from around the web:

Thanks again to everyone who helped out.

2.5-M3 Released

The GeoTools 2.5-M3 milestone release is available for download:

The GeoTools 2.5 series has been updated to use Java 5, and has undergone many improvements. This release is centred around making a new Feature model available. The new feature model is based on formal GeoAPI interfaces and allows the library to work complex data structures.

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on our new Feature model. This release contains several usability improvements based on your feedback; thanks also go out to Andrea who spent some time with a profiler to minimize the performance cost associated with this change.

There are no further API chances planned for the 2.5.x series; we have started formal branch and are treating this as a stable branch. Both the GeoServer and uDig projects have successfully migrated, you should make your migration plans now; we expect a a release candidate as soon as GeoServer passes a few more CITE tests.

Features from 2.5-M3:

  • OSGeo gradudation! All the headers have changed and we now track license use on a module by module basis
  • Usability and Performance improvements to the Feature
  • FeatureCollection no longer implements SimpleFeature or Collection; removal associated implementation classes such as ResourceCollection

Features from 2.5-M2:

  • JAXB bindings for the metadata module (ie support for ISO 19139 documents)
  • FeatureAccess super class for DataStore, allowing data access using ISO

Features from 2.5-M1:

  • Change over to GeoAPI SimpleFeature
  • Support GetGMLObject
  • Preview of new Swing Widgets (and a warm welcome to Eclesia)

Features from 2.5-M0:

  • Online User Guide
  • Java 5
  • Improved CRSAuthorityFactory implementations available for Java Enterprise Edition users
  • ISO 19107 Geometry implementation available as a supported module
  • DB2 returns to supported status
  • ArcSDE returns to supported status
  • GeometryBuilder utility class
  • A new GPX DataStore

Release Notes:

For more information please visit:

If you are new to GeoTools please consider this release as a good starting point, although the 2.4.x remains the stable branch we have no planned API changes and user documentation available for the 2.5.x series.

Enjoy,
The GeoTools Community

IRC Logs August 4th

0) what is up
1) chat

Action Items:
0) 2.5-M4 tag created; to be released this week
1) 2.4.x to be released this week for GeoServer
2) 2.2.x to be released (pending one bug fix) for uDig
3) SE patch to arrive this week Eclesia will send email

jgarnett* good morning
jgarnett I am still wonder if the meeting time is now .. or in an hour (smile)
vheurteaux hello jgarnett it's now
joined #geotools
jgarnett oh okay
jgarnett Morning Eclesia, aaime etc...
jgarnett let us start the meeting
Eclesia hi jgarnett
jgarnett (we are on holiday's here in Canada; so attendance from Refractions will be light)
aaime ops right it's Monday
jgarnett agenda topics
jgarnett aaime I feel a bit thrown around on the 2.4.x release schedule; can I ask you for an update in todays meeting?
aaime I have no topics for the meeting, the only topic I need an update for was sent to the ml
jgarnett looking for it ...
jgarnett what was it on?
jgarnett A WHERE 1=1 ?
jgarnett okay I can respond to that email.
aaime jgarnett, yes, that one
jgarnett gabriel is one of the people that can test arcsde; I should also be able to run tests for you. No idea about DB2; you can start by emailing the module maintainer directly.
jgarnett okay well let us start with the traditional 0) what is up
jgarnett this should be a short meeting.
desruisseaux Martin: metadata
Eclesia jsorel : playing with xml apis
aaime fixing bugs and plaing with the new GeoServer UI
jgarnett jgarnett - kicking off several new uDig based projects (the teams will have some exposure to this email list); wps project is wrapping up this week; looking into a gdal2gt bridge for MITAB support; hooking up the coveragetools in udig; adding some processing to imagemoasic with Emily
simboss jgarnett: wow
simboss (smile)
simboss simboss: netcdf
groldan geoserver 2.0 ui
jgarnett thinking; so if so many people are doing geoserver 2.0 ui; what is left on the 1.7 train? I ask because I would like an answer for the "GeoTools 2.5.0 when" questions on the user list.
aaime next rc is not scheduled this week afaik
aaime or at least not soon
jgarnett I see
aaime and the blockers in 1.7.0-rc1 need Justin attention
jgarnett well I would like to have a clue; since we kind of owe the OGC a press release
jgarnett and it would be nice if that included some associated software.
jgarnett was anyone able to go back and tag 2.5.x ?
jgarnett to reflect the release geoserver made last week?
jgarnett Martin started a thread about 2.5-M3 ...
aaime not sure, what I'm sure of is that someone noted the revision
aaime I wasn't involved in the release process other than doing CITE tests
jgarnett So do I ask dwins?
desruisseaux Basically I was just looking for a tag before to remove metadata annotations.
desruisseaux I was not looking for a real 2.5-M3 release.
jgarnett And I am looking to get a release in maven; for the user list.
aaime jgarnett, the release in geoserver was made by bmmpxf
aaime if he did not ask anybody to tag
aaime nobody did
groldan hmmm pity
aaime we have the revision number, we can add the tag at any point
jgarnett aaime if you could do so; I can release the tag today.
jgarnett (and can we please try and be a bit more clear next release cycle (smile) )
aaime why do you want to release the tag?
jgarnett Martin does that meet your needs?
aaime jgarnett, I cannot be clear for other people, just clear for myself
jgarnett because I care about geotools as a project; and we have users asking for the release...
jgarnett okay I will try and be more clear next release cycle; I thought I was working well with dwins
jgarnett and then he said "we are releasing a beta now" and everything went sideways for me...
aaime jgarnett, I said bmmpxf did the release
aaime he's the one doing the gs releases now
jgarnett true; dwins was just kind enough to tell me what had happened
jgarnett from my perspective I had set aside work and volunteer time to help get the geotools release out; and then I lost contact with who was doing what on the geoserver side.
groldan mike is eating, lets wait for him to get back and I can ask him for the rev number and do the tagging
jgarnett ie we wanted to try getting CITE tests to pass from a branch; and then we were going to release.
jgarnett cool; if someone can send me the -revision or create a tag; I can stumble through the release process today.
jgarnett (I would still like to confirm that this meets martin's needs?)
aaime jgarnett, we cannot pass cite due to a number of issues that require Justin attention
jgarnett okay
jgarnett I will release this as a 2.5-M3 then.
acuster it meets M's needs
aaime about the release of 1.6.5, I was going to do it, but Chris told me to delay it so...
jgarnett okay
jgarnett when you do get an idea let me know
aaime he said mid week next week thought
jgarnett hrm; should I bother to pass that on to the user list?
aaime so we could try to release 1.6.5 in a couple of days
aaime (I asked last week)
jgarnett ah
jgarnett so we should make a 2.4.x release this week then?
aaime jgarnett, you can, but there's no way I have time to fix more 2.4.x bugs
jgarnett Do you need anything for that ...
aaime apparently so
aaime nothing really
jgarnett cool.
acuster GeoServer 1.7.0-beta2 (July 30, 2008) ..... This release is based on Geotools 2.5.x (revision 31101).
jgarnett thanks ...
CIA-35 groldan * r31127 /tags/2.5-M3/: tagging 2.5.x from rev #31101
groldan jgarnett: tagged http://svn.geotools.org/tags/2.5-M3 from 2.5.x at rev #31101
jgarnett oh darn ... I am in the same boat as everyone else (smile)
jgarnett I hate to "cry wolf" but we are at the stage of making press releases for uDig 1.1.0
jgarnett so chances are I need to make a 2.2.x release this week
jgarnett we have one remaining bug fix to sort out; charset support in shapefiles.
aaime which has been fixed in 2.4.x I believe
jgarnett It has; although doing some research I found that the DBF actually contains the info
aaime at least I rember making sure that GEoServer could display layers in
aaime norvegian, chinese and arab
aaime and that info can usually be trusted, right?
jgarnett yes; that was my first thought as well. The korean uDig developers already hardcoded their locale in; I am trying to actually fix the problem so they can use the uDig 1.1.0 release.
jgarnett well I don't know how many programs use the DBF correcty; so we can still keep our connection parameter as an override.
jgarnett but when i went looking I found a list of bug reports on the topic
jgarnett (users complaining that the DBF header settings were ignored)
aaime I see
jgarnett A couple more updates; Martin I was able to use the system properties to let uDig work with epsg-hsql.
aaime ah right, did you find where GeoServer sets its own?
jgarnett So hacking on referencing can return to a low priority for both of us ... not ideal but you may relax knowning I am not going to launch into the referencing codebase this week.
desruisseaux Thanks for the info Jody
jgarnett I did not find out; I had to look at the "Axis Issue" page (smile) I am not sure I got all the settings but it is enough to reduce the panic.
jgarnett It also points out that some of our Hints cannot be "global"
desruisseaux Yes, this is what Andrea said last week. I don't know why.
jgarnett Or at the very least referencing has some fun issues to sort out with respect to hints.
aaime jgarnett, for the record: http://svn.codehaus.org/geoserver/trunk/geoserver/web/src/main/java/org/geoserver/GeoserverInitStartupListener.java
aaime we tried to use hints only but it did not work so we had to go back to system properties
jgarnett Thanks Andrea; looks like I missed a few - that is the answer I was trying to ask these last couple weeks (smile)
aaime sorry, I noticed it once but it was too late, and then I forgot
groldan aaime: btw, that one does look like it should go in main, not in web?
aaime why, it's a startup listener
aaime web container dependedent
jgarnett martin I am pretty sure I know how to approach the bug hunt; but we can leave this until we are both more sane?
aaime you did not want filters in main, you want listeners now? (wink)
groldan thought it was spring dependent
aaime nope, that one has to be absoluted the very first thign that runs
aaime when spring starts up it's already too late
desruisseaux Jody, yes it would be fine to wait a bit. I will let peoples know when I will be back on referencing hacking?
groldan ok
jgarnett Eclesia how goes your SLD work? On uDig trunk we would love to write our Style pages using StyleVisitors etc today.
aaime those properties must be set before any crs is requested
jgarnett Since we are writing them anyways; if we had your patch applied on 2.6.x we would not have to rewrite them later.
Eclesia well with everything going around I was wiating a bit for the patch
jgarnett I thought of updating SLDParser (the DOM one) to be an SEParser
jgarnett but noticed that we do not have a GML3 DOM parser etc...
jgarnett so I figured that creating more along those lines would make me tired; and thought I should check in with what you were doing?
Eclesia I can send you the patch if that's what you mean ?
jgarnett Eclesia I am not interested in checking out a patch on volunteer time
jgarnett I am interested in working with you on trunk; but I don't know your timing.
Eclesia is lost
jgarnett I am just letting you know that the timing is pretty good from the uDig standpoing.
Eclesia on what do you want to work with me ?
jgarnett ie if you commit we will be able to give you timely feedback on the new style interfaces.
jgarnett we will be writing code using style visitor
jgarnett (rather than set methods)
jgarnett to update stuff.
Eclesia ok so if I apply the patch this week does that suit you ?
jgarnett We would like a couple days warning;
jgarnett but yes; we are on trunk in order to work with you on this (smile)
Eclesia when do you want me to apply it then ?
jgarnett we have a deliverable thursday
jgarnett so either early in the week (say today?)
jgarnett or thursday.
jgarnett I would not mind an overview of what your patch includes?
jgarnett I am assuming the getools style interfaces will extend the geoapi ones
Eclesia I cant today, but tomorrow I guess it's possible
jgarnett (I tried this myself and only ran into conflicts where ENUMS had been introduced)
Eclesia the patch makes the GT style interface extends the geoapi ones, and it fix the gt style implementations
jgarnett sweet.
Eclesia all methods (old ones and new ones) are still here
jgarnett Did you wade through all my email to geoapi on the subject. We seemed to only have a few areas left to talk about.
Eclesia but the streamingrenderer breaks a bit when It comes on FeatureTypeNames that where replaced from string to Name objects
Eclesia so there will be some fixes to do
jgarnett understood
jgarnett StreamingRenderer is easier to understand with the ResourceCollection stuff removed.
Eclesia so I apply tomorrow ?
Eclesia will you have time to fix before thrusday ?
jgarnett Eclesia we have a teams of developers working on turnk
jgarnett so you should not be applying broken code?
jgarnett do you need help getting something working?
Eclesia It's not broken, test failures
jgarnett (aside: Graphic.graphicalSymbols() is order dependent ie List)
jgarnett hrm
Eclesia I cant fix the streaming renderer
jgarnett okay understood; so yeah send me an email before you commit and we can tag team that one.
jgarnett Is there a time when we are both working?
Eclesia for me it's at the end of the day
jgarnett okay so when you are ready please send an email; and set a time
Eclesia 17H to 18H
jgarnett I think that is it for the meeting time slot.
jgarnett Anything else or should I post the logs.
Eclesia jgarnett: a solution would be taht I send you the patch, and you can commit it when you think the streamingRenderer is fixed ?
Eclesia this way you can do it when you wish and we wont break the build
jgarnett I hear you
jgarnett I am weighing my volunteer time today vs you interecting with the geotools community in the normal manner.
jgarnett Is there another way to help you debug streaming renderer?
jgarnett And is your patch current; ie streaming renderer has changed over the last two weeks.
jgarnett nope I think you better set a time and commit
Eclesia I've been maitaining this patch for more then a month on my free time ...
jgarnett I don't want to set a precedent of accepting large patches; not when you have commit access.
jgarnett what I can do is help you clean up streaming renderer; and we do appoogize for taking so long to get 2.5.x out of the way ... thanks for maintaining the patch.
jgarnett So what time do you want to do this Eclesia; tomorrow?
jgarnett Now?
Eclesia I cant do it know
Eclesia the patch is at work (I'm at home)
jgarnett (smile)
Eclesia now*
jgarnett How about tomorrow? You mentioned a time up above; but I have not figured out when that is for me (sad)
Eclesia meeting startes a 18H, so one hour before
acuster what time is it for you right now jody?
acuster its 19:42 here
acuster so 17:00 is 2:42 ago
Eclesia 17h to 18h is fine
jgarnett okay sounds great
jgarnett can you send an email; with that time slot; and the appropriate dire warning for people working on turnk.
jgarnett tunk - silly typo
jgarnett Is that okay?
Eclesia ok
jgarnett cool thanks for the meeting everyone.