After Groovy 1.7.3 on Monday, this is time to release Groovy 1.6.9 as well.
Groovy 1.6.9 will be the last version of the Groovy 1.6.x branch, and we'll now focus on the 1.7.x and Trunk branches from now on.
The key highlight of this release is the JDK 1.4 support, as Groovy 1.6.8 had issues running on JDK 1.4. Fortunately, this is fixed now, and 1.6.9 is the last version of Groovy running on that old JDK.
I advise all those still on 1.6.x and JDK 1.4 to upgrade rapidly to a newer JDK, as even JDK 5 has been end-of-lifed recently.
You can download Groovy 1.6.9 at the usual place: http://groovy.codehaus.org/Download
And find the JIRA release notes here: http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10242&version=16236
Thanks a lot for your attention, and have fun with Groovy!
Particular thanks to Paul and Roshan for resolving the issues surrounding the JDK 1.4 "retrotranslation" issues we've had.
Time for a new release!
Groovy 1.7.3 is out, on the shelves, ready to be unleashed in your projects!
You can download Groovy at the usual place:
(Note that you can also live on the edge these days, as we now publish regular snapshots of Groovy 1.7 and 1.8 automatically, as explained further down on the Download page)
You can look at the JIRA release notes here:
In particular, you may be interested in the following new features:
- new AST transformations, like @Synchronized (safer use of synchronization) and @InheritConstructors (nice for inheriting Exception constructors)
- first() / last() / head() / tail() methods on arrays for consistency with lists (primitive arrays not covered yet)
- some BigDecimal handling improvements for better results on some edge cases calculations
- an update to the static imports for properties
- new method on Date so you can do cal[DAY_OF_WEEK] = MONDAY
- new String handling methods, like capitalize(), UNIX's tr(), expand()/unexpand(), as well as stripIndent() and stripMargin()
- a nice Groovy icon for the Groovy Swing Console on Mac OS X
Thanks a lot to everybody for their feedback, contributions, and their support towards this release!