The Streaming API for XML (StAX)
This is the homepage for the StAX Reference Implementation (RI). StAX is a standard XML processing API that allows you to stream XML data from and to your application. This StAX implementation is the standard pull parser implementation for JSR-173 specification.
- 19-Jun-2006: 1.2 (final) released. It only contains just one more fix since 1.2rc2, but should serve as a reasonable baseline, due to numerous fixes since last stable release (1.1.2).
- 13-Mar-2006: 1.2rc2 released: it contains numerous fixes, to resolve problems indicated by StaxTest unit tests. This release could become official 1.2 release if no critical issues are found.
- 13-Mar-2006: Stax API 1.0.1 maintenance release: fixes one critical implementation problem in XMLInputFactory implementation detection (jaxp.properties that existed but missed stax impl entry threw NullPointerException). No changes to API or javadocs.
Features of StAX API:
- The standard pull parser interface (included in JDK 1.6, downloadable separately for 1.4, 1.5)
- Reader and Writer APIs: both with two levels, "raw" cursor access and object-based "event" access
- Efficient XML access (especially using cursor API)
- Gives application control over parsing: "reverse Hollywood": you can call us, instead of waiting us to call you
Features of the Reference Implementation:
- Small memory footprint
- Implementation of most core features: non-validating DTD-aware parser and serializer
- Open Source (Apache License (AL) 2.0)
Development and Project Info
- Download page contains current official releases (latest being 1.2)
- Stax ToDo List
- Browse SVN Code
- ReadOnly SVN access is now available, just use cvs to get access
- Developers should have ssh account and then do:
- For bugs of the reference implementation, use Stax Jira .
- For Stax (1.0) specification issues use Stax Bugzilla
- Yahoo Group is the "official" mailing list for discussing both the Reference Implementation, and StAX API.
- Java Community Process Page details the JSR specification.
- dev2dev page is web page by BEA, sponsor and lead of the specification.
- A nice introduction can help you get started with using StAX for your high-performance parsing.
People involved in StAX
- Tatu Saloranta ("Cowtown Coder" )