Subject: Exported From Confluence
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
GumTree 1.4.x Project Plan
GumTree 1.4.x Project Plan
This document lays out the development priorities and plans for the GumT=
ree software version 1.4. The aim of this plan is to provide an overview o=
f works that are committed in the current development iteration cycle. Thi=
s is a living document and is subject to change based on the project priori=
The deployment date of GumTree software for individual instrument is dep=
ended upon reactor cycle and instrument maintenance schedule. However, the=
release date for the GumTree Platform (or the base NBI target for developm=
ent) should be fixed, so that the development process is agile (with short =
iteration) and predictable.
At the end each final release, a change log and brief new feature descri=
ption must be supplied with the artifacts. After each iteration, a new tar=
get will be produced for internal development use, and all developers need =
to sync with this latest target. Developers will need to meet together for=
quick briefing on the new features introduced in each iteration.
Each release is set to 4 months long, with 1 week planning, four 3 week =
long iteration, and 3 week endgame (final integration test, documentation a=
nd release work). All phases may be adjustable to fit operation needs, but=
we usually do not encourage this.
Planning: 16th Nov 2009 - 20th Nov 2009 (1 week)
Iteration 0: 23th Nov 2009 - 11th Dec 2009 (3 week) - vers=
Iteration 1: 14th Dec 2009 - 15th Jan 2010 (5 week) - vers=
Iteration 2: 18th Jan 2010 - 5th Feb 2010 (3 week) - versi=
Iteration 3: 8th Feb 2010 - 26th Feb 2010 (3 week) - versi=
Endgame: 1st Mar 2010 - 19th Mar 2010 (3 week) - version 1=
.4.4 (final version for 1.4.x release)
Instrument Specific Themes
An instrument theme is a high level task description on what use require=
ment we need to fulfil for this release of GumTree. Those requirements com=
e from instrument scientists meeting, instrument maintenance jobs (software=
bug fixes), and refactoring tasks for making software maintainable.
- Provide User's Guide. Make a User's Guide for Gumtr=
ee-Echidna Experiment UI and Analysis UI (GUMTREE-344=
- New Echidna dashboard. (GUMTR=
- New analysis workbench. The data analysis feature i=
n Kowari will be separated to a new product, such that the experiment workb=
ench will be more stable for normal operation (GUMTRE=
- Online data reduction.
- Support new hardware. New GumTree device will be wr=
itten to support newly fixed harware such as beamstop (GUMTREE-105).
- File association. New experiment and report model t=
o propagate empty beam and empty cell file association (GUMTREE-106, GUMTREE-108).
- Test the triggered analysis algorithm. Make test fo=
r the new analysis algorithm that gets triggered by the experiment model (<=
a href=3D"http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GUMTREE-346" class=3D"external-li=
No scheduled plan for Platypus in this version.
- Experiment workbench construction. In this verion a=
generic GumTree instance will be created for Pelican. It will only contai=
ns the branding plug-in with no instrument customisation (GUMTREE-97).
No scheduled plan for NESCA in this version. However, we recommend the =
NESCA programmers to test the final release target to ensure they are capab=
le on handling new target release.
Generic Component Themes
Platform component themes are derived to support themes and requirements=
of individual instrument. Any features that are added to the platform lev=
el (includes GumTree platform, data acquistion, data analysis and NBI commo=
n components) will benefit all instruments.
GumTree Platform (Runtime, Core, UI, Server, Workbench APIs)
- New generic workflow editor framework. (GUMTREE-102)
- ReST based simple data access manager. (GUMTREE-99, GUMTREE-103)
- 2nd generation dashboard. The new dashboard will ha=
ve better layout support, simpler XML markup and support the new data acces=
s manager via ReST style (GUMTREE-98).
- Jython support. Our current choice of scripting lan=
guage within GumTree is cPython, but it is platform dependent.=C2=A0 To ove=
rcome this problem, we will offer Jython as the alternative (GUMTREE-130).
- Local persistence framework. A new simple persisten=
ce framework in place to support future application crash recovery features=
Data Acquisition =
- New generic and extensible data acquisition perspective.
- New batch manager. A new batch manager that handles=
queue dispatch, persistence, and log display (GUMTREE-134).
- Current SICS proxy improvement. (GUMTREE-110)
- SICS UI improvement. (GUMTREE=
Data Analysis (Numeric, Kuranda, Cicada and Kakadu)
- Generic viewer for loading processor type of algorithms. (GUMTREE-345)
- Plot a set of 1D data in color strips mode. (GUMTREE-340)
(HM Adaptor, Common DRA, JEPP)
- Dashboard upgrade to all instrument. Adopt the new =
dashboard API for all instrument
- New application support. The build system will incl=
ude the Pelican Experiment Workbench and Kowari Analysis Workbench (GUMTREE-97).
- Standalone installer. GumTree will provide Windows =
installers for supporting running in standalone mode (GUMTREE-135 ).
No scheduled action plan for website.