Finding and Activating / Deactivating Rules
Go to the profile's Coding rules tab. Because there are numerous available some languages have hundreds of coding rules available, the list of rules is headed with a search engine is availableinterface. The default search is always the active rules in the current profile:
A coding rule
The list of rules returned by the search engine is paginated, with 25 rules per page.
Coding rules can be activated or deactivated . Its severity by, and their severity can be modified. Some rules have parameters which can also be modified:
|While rule activation / deactivation and severity changes are automatically saved, rule parameter changes are not automatically saved. You must click the update button next to each parameter to save your changes.|
Bulk change actions are available allow you to quickly activate or deactivate a set of multiple rules:
No extra validation action is required to make changes to the quality profile.
- Beta: The coding rule has been recently implemented and we haven't gotten enough feedback from users yet. So, so there may be false positives or false negatives.
- Deprecated: The coding rule should no longer be used because a similar, but more powerful and accurate rule exists.
- Ready: The rule is ready to be used in production.
Rule Creation Date
Since version 3.6 , each rule has a creation date to help you spot the new coding rules, each rule has a creation date:
Multiple Activations of a Rule
If a rule can be activated multiple times, a Copy button rule link is available:
Clicking on the Copy rule link displays a form to rule-specific form so you can define the new rule:
Once the new rule has been created, it can be managed like any other rule. Note that you will need to explicitly add your new rule to a profile; it will not automatically be added to the profile you created it from.
Extending Rule Description
- You can extend the description of a rule to give more details, add an internal description, etc. :
Extended rule descriptions are useful to let users know why a rule has been included in a profile (if there might be a question) or how your organization is using a particular rule. Your extension will be available to users as a normal part of the rule details:
Your extension will be added to the rule in every quality profile, not just the profile from which you edited the rule, and will be available to users when clicking on an issue:
- it will persist with the rule even if the rule is removed from every profile.
- You can add a rule comment, or administrator's note, in the context of a specific quality profile, explaining the reasons of the activation of the rule, it . Rule comments are useful for noting the reason of a rule was activated, set to a particular severity, etc. Rule comments are not shown to users outside of only visible in the Quality Profile administration interface, but they are visible to all users, even anonymous ones.
If you remove a rule from a profile, its notes will be erased because notes are profile-specific and exist only in the context of a rule's inclusion in a profile.
Extending Coding Rules
Custom coding rules can be added. See Extending Coding Rules for detailed information and tutorials.