- Download the latest Griffon release
- Extract the archive into an appropriate location; typically C:\griffon on Windows or ~/griffon on Unix
- Create a GRIFFON_HOME environment variable that points to the path where you extracted the archive (eg C:\griffon on Windows or ~/griffon on Unix)
- If you have not set the JAVA_HOME environment variable yet, create JAVA_HOME environment variable that points to the path where you have installed Java
- Append a reference to the "bin" directory within the Griffon directory to your PATH variable (eg %GRIFFON_HOME%\bin on Windows or $GRIFFON_HOME/bin on Unix). Note that, for Windows, both PATH and GRIFFON_HOME must be defined at the same environment variable level (eg. 'System variables') rather than across environment variable levels (eg. PATH under 'System variables' and GRAILSGRIFFON_HOME under 'User variables')
- Type "griffon" at the command line, if a help message is displayed you are ready to start using Griffon!
- If you get an error message, try to chmod +x the griffon script inside the bin directory.