- Verify that there are no blocking issues on the lists or in JIRA.
- Update VERSION.txt with the release number and date and commit to trunk. Copy this to trunk VERSION.txt
- Create tags in jetty and jetty-contrib repositories with a copy from trunk (or the branch used as a basis for the release):
svn cp -m 'release x.y.z' https://svn.codehaus.org/jetty/jetty/branches/jetty-6.1 https://svn.codehaus.org/jetty/jetty/tags/jetty-x.y.z svn cp -m 'release x.y.z' https://svn.codehaus.org/jetty-contrib/jetty/branches/jetty-6.1 https://svn.codehaus.org/jetty-contrib/jetty/tags/jetty-contrib-x.y.z
- Checkout tag:
svn co https://svn.codehaus.org/jetty/jetty/tags/jetty-x.y.z
- Edit svn:externals to include contrib tag:
cd jetty-x.y.z svn propedit svn:externals . # change branches to jetty/tags/jetty-contrib-x.y.z rm -fr contrib svn up
- Update the poms and other files to change 6.1-SNAPSHOT to x.y.z:
The diff in the script will sometimes need to be updated. Recursive
find -name '*.xml' -o -name '*.TXT' -o -name '*.txt' | while read file ; do sed --in-place -e 's/6.1 SNAPSHOT/x.y.z/g' $file ; done
greps should be done to make sure that all 6.1-SNAPSHOT references have been updated.
- Commit the changes to the tag:
svn commit -m 'release x.y.z' svn commit -m 'release x.y.z' contrib
- build the release with javadoc + jxr for bundle
#build the release bundles:
mvn install-Pcodehaus-release deploy # find all instanced of plugin-plugin in pom.xml and comment them out. cd distribution/jetty-assembly mvn install (this builds out the javadocs and jxr directories in root distribution) -Pcodehaus-release deploy cd ../.. # revert the plugin-plugin pom.xml files. Complain on lists that we should fix this.
This builds a binary and source zip bundle in the parent directory.
#build additional bundles and jars:
NOTE: you will need the rpmbuild utility installed in order to build the rpm module. this is also a somewhat optional step and can be completed after the release if need be
NOTE: you will need special utilities installed in order to build the debian module (see the README in contrib/debian for details).
cd contrib/j2se6 (NOTE: you need to do this with jdk1.6!) mvn
-Pcodehaus-release deploy cd ../../contrib/maven-beanshell-plugin mvn
-Pcodehaus-release deploy cd ../../contrib/
-Pcodehaus-release deploy cd
contrib/rpm mvn install cd ../../extra/jboss
mvn -Djboss.home=<your jboss install dir> install cd ../..
- Tell somebody else about the tag and ask them to check it out and test it!
- Test the tag yourself in situ (if you need to fix anything you will need to completely clean and go back to first build step).
- Test the built bundle
- Test the RPM
- Wait a day for other feedback from other testers
- Create directories in distribution directories and copy artifacts to codehaus (webdav to https://dav.codehaus.org/dist/jetty/ ) and mortbay (scp to email@example.com:/home/ftp/pub/jetty-x.y.z/). The artifacts to upload are:
- ONLY WHEN YOU ARE REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY SURE EVERYTHING IS REALLY REALLY REALLY OK, then push the maven artifacts:
mvn -DupdateReleaseInfo=true deploy cd distribution/jetty-assembly mvn -DupdateReleaseInfo=true deploy (site component for jetty-site generation) promote the releases
- Update jira to release the version, and enter the next version number
- Tell everybody: blogs, lists, etc.
- Wait for the bug reports to come in