This is a methodology widely used in France to estimate the effort of changes. Customers and providers agree on the abacus at the beginning of the maintenance process.
Example of Abacus
|Complexity of the Change|
Values are in man days.
|Abacus Complexity||Cyclomatic Complexity|
|Medium||20 < X <= 50|
|Complex||50 < X <= 100|
|Very complex||> 100|
See the Configuration section to set your own thresholds.
At the file level, you can either use the Abacus tab or Abacus perspective or create a filter to display the abacus complexity measure.
At the module or project level, a widget is available to display the average abacus complexity and the abacus complexity distribution.
The abacus complexity distribution can be displayed either in number of files or percentage.
See screenshots below.
use this plug-in?
- To help you estimate your effort of change more quickly and accurately and in a quicker way.
- To help clients and subcontractors argue less settle arguments about the effort of change as they will have a factual way to estimate required to make a change by providing a fact-based method of understanding the complexity of each file.
- Install the Abacus plugin through the Update Center or download it into the SONAR_HOME/extensions/plugins directory
- Restart the Sonar server
To set your own thresholds to compute the abacus complexity.
- Drill-down from the average abacus complexity of a module/project does not work due to the following issue in Sonar CoreSonarQube: SONAR-3233.
- Differential views are not implemented.
- Compatibility with VIEWS: as each project can define its own abacus, this plug-in does not compute the abacus complexity and distribution for a view.