- Register on Jira/Xircles (xircles.codehaus.org)
- Register on Github (github.com)
- Fork the izpack/izpack repository on the Github website
- Make a local copy of your fork
- For each bug, improvement or feature
- Create a a Jira issue for the IZPACK project.
Use your Xircles account to log in to JIRA.
This issue is the central place for discussing and mainly designing the contribution.
- Create a Git branch in your local copy with the name of the issue, for example IZPACK-123
- Check out the new Git branch
- Make just the changes for the according issue in this branch, nothing else, to have a clean changelog.
- Test your changes locally as good as you can
- Send the changes in the branch as pull request.
On accepting the request your changes merged into the izpack/izpack master repository and the branch itself is automatically deleted on Github. You can delete it also in your local copy if you want.
- If the pull request is not accepted, but there are just some more changes requested, you can further edit the code in the same checked out branch and refresh the same pull request on Github.
A basic tutorial how to handle repositories on Github can be found here: https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo.
The steps described below are use-cases for a quick start with practical examples for contributing code to IzPack.
Setting Up a User Repository
The basic steps for a quick start are: