GeoTools has kept up the the production of monthly milestone releases. The publication of milestone releases makes progress visible and accessible to the user community. We have not been sending announcements out beyond the user list, as milestone releases are strictly for "early access".
We are nearing the end game plan for GeoTools 2.4.0. To make the cut a module will need to be brought up to supported status (with associated test coverage, module matrix page, and user documentation). Please check the Module Matrix page (and development policies) to see if the modules you are interested in are ready for release.
There is one planned development policy change:
- When a contributor agreement is available (after negotiations with OSGeo) we will require each developer to sign something.
Accepted Change Proposals
The following change proposals have been accepted:
- DataSource Hint for EPSG
- Improve CRSAuthority Concurrency Caching and Connection Use
- Connection pool subsystem upgrade
The [Summer of Code} students reflect our research priorities now; the core GeoTools community seems to be working on making good on our existing ambitions.
The following problems are listed as design problems that should be addressed. Often these problems are holding up existing paid work, but due to the amount of collaboration involved lack specific funding.
- OSGeo Incubation process is stalled pending legal feedback (it is in progress but it has not yet completed)
- We missed reviewing several critical GeoAPI concepts: TypeName vs Generic Name and their relationship with Schema, Record and RecordType
- GeoTools FilterCapabilities - We have switch over to use GeoAPI Filter interfaces. The interface "Function" does not list the number of required parameters; instead that information is captured as part of the FilterCapabilities information (which we currently do not use).
- MapContext is an API provided by the rendering module; this abstraction is starting to fragment. The best example is WMSMapLayer being created in a demo module (we should define a formal interface and stick to it)
- Communication with other projects such as OpenJUMP, DeeGree and gvSig is poor, often we are falling over licensing restrictions and the usual lack of time.