- A set of directories inside $(server.home):
- data noted as $(server.data.home)
- CatalinaBase noted as $(server.tomcat.base)
- A JDK installation (jdk1.6.0-b2 was used during the experimentation) located at $(java.home) with permissions set to be usable by MSU
- A Tomcat installation (Tomcat 5.5.20 was used during the experimentation) located at $(tomcat.home) with permissions set to be run by MSU
- A Maven 2 installation (maven 2.0.4 was used during the experimentation) located at $(m2.home) with permissions set to be usable by MSU
- A MySQL installation (MySQL 5.0 was used during the experimentation) with networking enabled
- An HTTP server (Apache Httpd 2.2 was used during the experimentation) with mod_proxy_ajp enabled
The java.home, tomcat.home, m2.home variables are undefined by purpose to let the reader defines its own (during the experimentation they were respectively set to /home/local/jdk1.6.0, /home/local/tomcat-5.5.20, /home/local/maven-2.0.4).
It is supposed that the Tomcat installation is cut in half with the running evironment (in $(tomcat.home)) on one side and the configuration environment (in $(server.tomcat.base)) on the other side; Read the Tomcat distribution's RUNNING.txt file for more information.
The Connection between Tomcat and MySQL is made using mysql-connector (can be found on the mysql site). The mysql-connector-java-VERSION-bin.jar should be put in the $(tomcat.home)/common/lib directory.