Note that you can directly upgrade from one version to another. For example, to upgrade from version 3.1 to version 3.5, it is not necessary to first upgrade to version 3.2, then to version 3.3, and so on.
- Check compatibility of installed plugins
- If the SonarQube server is not connected to the Internet, check for minimum required versions listed in this page. If the SonarQube server is connected to the Internet, the Update Center lists all the plugins to upgrade or to uninstall:
Stop the SonarQube server:
- Download and unzip the new SonarQube distribution in a fresh directory, let's say NEW_SONARQUBE_HOME
- Update the content of the sonar.properties and wrapper.conf files located in the NEW_SONARQUBE_HOME/conf directory with the content of the related files in the OLD_SONARQUBE_HOME/conf directory (web server URL, database settings, etc.). Do not copy-paste the old files.
- Copy the OLD_SONARQUBE_HOME/extensions/plugins directory into NEW_SONARQUBE_HOME/extensions/plugins (replace plugins with compatible versions if necessary)plugins.
Check for plugins compatibility and upgrade manually the plugins if necessary: see Compatibility Matrix.
- If a custom JDBC driver is used, copy it into NEW_SONARQUBE_HOME/extensions/jdbc-driver/<dialect>
- Back up your database
- In case a "es" directory exists in the "data" directory, remove this "es" directory (should not according to above step 3)
Start the web server:
- Browse to http://localhost:9000/setup (replace "localhost:9000" by your own URL) and follow the setup instructions
- Analyze your projects to get fresh measures
Image RemovedRead upgrade Read the upgrade notes below for each version
Upgrading can take a while depending on the size of projects portfolio. To monitor the process, check the logs.
Upgrade is completed when an analysis has been run on project. Only at that point will you get new functionality working for sure.
How to Roll Back
If, for some reasons, your upgrade failed, you can roll back by:
- Restoring your backed up database
- Updating the OLD_SONARQUBE_HOME/conf/sonar.properties configuration file to link to the restored database
Restarting the previous version of the web server:
Release Upgrade Notes
Usually the SonarQube releases come with some specific recommendations for upgrading from the previous version. You have to read the upgrade notes for all versions between your current version and the target version.