Note that you can directly upgrade from one version to another. For example, to upgrade from version 3.1 to version 3.5, it is not necessary to first upgrade to version 3.2, then to version 3.3, and so on.
- Check the compatibility of the installed plugins with the new version that you want to upgrade to. This information will be of use at step #6.
- If the SonarQube server is not connected to the Internet, check for minimum required versions listed in this page. If the SonarQube server is connected to the Internet, the Update Center lists all the plugins to upgrade or to uninstall (do not click on Upgrade or Uninstall, see
Stop the SonarQube server:
- Download and unzip the new SonarQube distribution in a fresh directory, let's say NEW_SONARQUBE_HOME
- Update the content of the sonar.properties and wrapper.conf files located in the NEW_SONARQUBE_HOME/conf directory with the content of the related files in the OLD_SONARQUBE_HOME/conf directory (web server URL, database settings, etc.). Do not copy-paste the old files.
- Copy the OLD_SONARQUBE_HOME/extensions/plugins directory into NEW_SONARQUBE_HOME/extensions/plugins (replace plugins. Upgrade the plugins with compatible versions if necessary, see step #1): see compatibility matrix.
- If a custom JDBC driver is used, copy it into NEW_SONARQUBE_HOME/extensions/jdbc-driver/<dialect>
- Back up your database
Start the web server:
- Browse to http://localhost:9000/setup (replace "localhost:9000" by your own URL) and follow the setup instructions
- Analyze your projects to get fresh measures
Image RemovedRead the upgrade notes below for each version
Upgrading can take a while depending on the size of projects portfolio. To monitor the process, check the logs.
Upgrade is completed when an analysis has been run on project. Only at that point will you get new functionality working for sure.