Groovy is an agile dynamic language for the Java Platform that has many of the features that people like so much in inspired languages like Python, Ruby and Smalltalk, making them available to Java developers using a Java-like syntax.
Groovy is ideally designed to reach for the following purposes :
- developping Developing web applications in a quick, concise and fun way web applications. The Grails project shows you this evidence demonstrates Groovy's capability in this rea.
- bringing Bringing the power of a scripting language directly into the to the JVM with seamless integration with the Java Platform
- writing test cases for unit tests very easy.
- prototyping and productizing real industrial applications
- writing Writing concise, meaningful, test cases using Groovy's JUnit integration.
- Prototyping and producing real industrial strength applications
- Writing shell scripts easily
Groovy can be used according your kind of application in two main modes :
- traditionnal byte code compiled applications
- purely interpretated scripts
Groovy is powerful thanks to :
as a dynamically or staticly typed language and can either be compiled or interpreted
Groovy introduces powerful additional features to the JVM such as :
- Language conceptual enhancements
- Support for closures - re-usable block of code
- Native syntax for lists and maps
- builder notion, ie ... TBD
- regex operators
- native beans
- operator Support the Gof Builder pattern via the notion of builders
- Syntax level regex operators and escape sequences
- Native JavaBean support
- Operator overloading to simplify working with datatypes Collections and Maps
- Polymorphic iteration and autoboxing
- extension of java objects apiExtension of Java Standard Library through the GDK
- providing of very In addition, Groovy provides useful standard features to enhance developer productivity such as:
- Groovy Markup for XML, DOM, ...
- Groovy Path expression language
- Groovlets for implementing Servlets easily in simple Groovy scripts
- Ant Scripting
- Groovy Categories allow you to add methods to classes with the "use" keyword
- Groovy Template Engines which are pluggable, simple to use, integrate GPath and compile to bytecode
- Groovy SQL for making SQL more Groovy
- And providing great user defined modules
- COM Scripting