- Clean up the current mess that is our config/catalog api
- Have a way for people to plug in their special catalog implementations
- Allow for clustering (aka, store config in a central location, be it a database, or a separate Geoserver publishing its configuration to "slave" Geoservers). Please note I've written allow, I mean that the API we choose should not go against a db based API, not that we will make one
- Have Geoserver scale on the thousands of feature types/coverages.
- What is the benefit to users of GeoServer?
- I want the Ingestion Engine save the new configuration somewhere (Disk or DB) independently from GeoServer, and have the GeoServer catalog always updated.
- Don't load all the resources every time into memory, but ask just for the resoucre I need.
- Cache the resources in order to avoid to request them to the service everytime.