All previous attempts at building on Windows used the Apache Harmony classlibrary whose development has been discontinued.
If you still want to try building on Windows, you might find relevant information in some of the following places:
- the website and/or the code repositories of Metacircular Research Platform, a fork of the Jikes RVM that supports Windows (using Apache Harmony). The most current version of MRP's code repositories is found at https://code.google.com/p/metacircular/. Note that the Jikes RVM and MRP have diverged substantially.
- the thread Build with cygwin/windows 32 on Windows XP from the jikesrvm-researchers mailing list
Old information (possibly outdated)
- Windows SDK (free)
- Visual C++ (the free Express Edition is ok)
- Apache Ant
- An installed Java Development Kit (JDK)
- Cygwin - in particular you need: mercurial, bison, byacc, gcc, perl
- JAVA_HOME - point at JDK installation directory