Installation from Download
In order to start using Griffon you need to have the following:
- An installation of Java SDK 1.5 or higher and have set your JAVA_HOME variable to the SDK install location. Java 1.6 is strongly recommended.
- Download the latest Griffon release
- Extract the archive into an appropriate location; typically C:\griffon on Windows or ~/griffon on Unix
- Create a GRIFFON_HOME environment variable that points to the path where you extracted the archive (eg C:\griffon on Windows or ~/griffon on Unix)
- If you have not set the JAVA_HOME environment variable yet, create JAVA_HOME environment variable that points to the path where you have installed Java
- Append a reference to the "bin" directory within the Griffon directory to your PATH variable (eg %GRIFFON_HOME%\bin on Windows or $GRIFFON_HOME/bin on Unix). Note that, for Windows, both PATH and GRIFFON_HOME must be defined at the same environment variable level (eg. 'System variables') rather than across environment variable levels (eg. PATH under 'System variables' and GRAILS_HOME under 'User variables')
- Type "griffon" at the command line, if a help message is displayed you are ready to start using Griffon!
- If you get an error message, try to chmod +x the griffon script inside the \bin directory.
Installation from Subversion
In order to start using Griffon from SVN you need to have the following:
- An installation of Java 1.5 or higher and have set your JAVA_HOME variable to the install location
- A working installation of Apache Ant 1.6.5 or higher
- JUnit (to run the build tests - put junit.jar in your ANT_HOME\lib directory)
- An installation of Subversion
- Checkout Griffon from the Griffon Module in the Groovy SVN repository
- Run this command: svn co http://svn.codehaus.org/groovy/trunk/groovy/modules/griffon/
- Set the GRIFFON_HOME environment variable to some location that is not below the checkout location
- Add the "%GRIFFON_HOME%\bin" directory to your PATH environment variable
- Add the "%GRIFFON_HOME%\ant\bin directory to your PATH environment variable.
- (You may need to give the scripts in "%GRIFFON_HOME%\ant\bin execute permissions.)
- Go to the %GRIFFON_HOME% directory and type "ant install" to build Griffon and install it in your %GRIFFON_HOME% directory
- That's it! Start developing with Griffon!