GeoTools is an open source (LGPL) Java code library which provides standards compliant methods for the manipulation of geospatial data, for example to implement Geographic Information Systems (GIS). The GeoTools library implements Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) specifications as they are developed, in close collaboration with the GeoAPI project. The capabilities of GeotTools are presented in the feature list.
Geotools is used by a number of projects including Web Feature Servers, Web Map Servers, and desktop applications, as is described on this page. Some screenshots of Geotools in action are also available.
Programmers wishing to use GeoTools in their own applications can get more information from the User Guide. Developers wishing to extend the GeoTools library can get started on the Development page and the Developer Guide.
GeoTools 2.5.x Stable Release
The stable branch is recommended for almost all users - please report bugs and submit patches for this version. This release requires Java 5. This releases is the Most of the developers are working directly with maven - patch releases will only be made in the case of a serious problem. This release is the subject of our User Guide.
If you require Java 1.4 support please fall back to the earlier 2.4.x releases.
GeoTools 2.6.x Development
This is where all the really exciting development is taking place. This work is only available via our maven repository at this time.
If your organization is making use of GeoTools please talk to us about project goals, time line and upcoming releases. GeoTools uses an open development process and your contributions can make the difference.
The following organizations ask that their logos be included on our front page.
The GeoTools Project is:
- run by the Project Management Committee (PMC)
(a group of volunteers who have made significant contributions to the project.)
- managed through an open development process, with public collaboration on new ideas . Project communication is open to all , and we welcome new contributions .
- a member of the Open Source Geospatial Foundation who provide facilities for our subversion and maven repositories and provided council during the incubation process.
For more information please visit our About page.
News and Events
Create a blog post to share news and announcements with your team and company.
Edit this Website
Everyone is welcome to edit this web site; but we need to ask you to sign in first.
- Sign up to Confluence here: Confluence Signup
- Sign up to CodeHaus here: CodeHaus Signup
- Once logged in go to this page: Personal Details
- Use the form to fill in your Confluence Username from step one
You can now join the GeoTools project:
- Go to this page: GeoTools Project
- And click on Apply to join as a developer
- You will need to wait for approval
And finally edit any page on this wiki:
- To edit any page choose Page Operations > Edit