GeoTools is an open source (LGPL) Java code library which provides standards compliant methods for the manipulation of geospatial data, for example to implement Geographic Information Systems (GIS). The GeoTools library implements Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) specifications as they are developed. The capabilities of GeotTools are presented in the feature list.
Geotools is used by a number of projects including Web Feature Servers, Web Map Servers, and desktop applications. For more information check out some fascinating screenshots and applications powered by Geotools!
Programmers wishing to use GeoTools in their own applications can get more information from the User Guide. Developers wishing to extend the GeoTools library can get started on the Development page and the Developer Guide.
GeoTools is proud to be one of the origional founding projects for the Open Source Geospatial Foundation. The foundation holds the copyright on the library and is wonderful source of assistance and community spirit for our project.
The OSGeo foundation holds a yearly Free and Open Source for Geospatial conference - this year it is in Sydney! We are looking forward to brining you a tutorial on GeoTools programming as part of this years event. You will also find plenty of GeoTools powered projects in this years program.
Registration is now open; sign up today while there is still room in the workshops.
If your organization is making use of GeoTools we invite you to help set the release schedule. Please contact us on the developers list; we would love to know what your team is up to when. GeoTools uses an open development process and your contributions can make the difference.
The following organizations ask that their logos be included on our front page.
The GeoTools Project is:
- run by the Project Management Committee (PMC)
(a group of volunteers who have made significant contributions to the project.)
- managed through an open development process, with public collaboration on new ideas . Project communication is open to all , and we welcome new contributions .
- a member of the Open Source Geospatial Foundation who provide facilities for our subversion and maven repositories and provided council during the incubation process.
- one of the longest running Java projects - check out our History of open development since 1996
For more information please visit our About page.
News and Events
Could not access the content at the URL because it is not from an allowed source.
You may contact your site administrator and request that this URL be added to the list of allowed sources.
Edit this Website
Due to vandalism the following procedure is more complicated then we would like - please be patient and go through all the steps.
Everyone is welcome to edit this web site; but we need to ask you to sign in first.
- Sign up to Confluence here: Confluence Signup
- Sign up to CodeHaus here: CodeHaus Signup
- Once logged in go to this page: Personal Details
- Use the form to fill in your Confluence Username from step one
You can now join the GeoTools project:
- Go to this page: GeoTools Project
- And click on Apply to join as a developer
- You will need to wait for approval
And finally edit any page on this wiki:
- To edit any page choose Page Operations > Edit