Description / Features
Piwik is an open-source web analytics software that can be used as an alternative to Google Analytics, in particular for internal websites. The Piwik Plugin submits individual's browsing activity of the Sonar instance to a Piwik server so that it can then be analysed.
Once browsing data from a Sonar instance instance has been collected by the Piwik Plugin then the Piwik software itself has a lot of cool features to help you analyse that traffic:
- Real time web analytics reports
- Definition and tracking of Goals
- Customizable Dashboard
- Extensible plugin mechanism
- Detailed information on browser capabilities
To learn more about Piwik please visit their website: Piwik
Usage & Installation
The Plugin is configured by an administrator with the details of a Piwik instance and from that point on each
web page will include a script at the end of it that submits information related to the page, the visitor, and their browser to Piwik for analysis.
To configure the Piwik Plugin:
- You already have an instance of Piwik 0.6.
- In Piwik you have defined a new website for the Sonar instance: Settings -> Websites -> Add new website
- Install Piwik Plugin in Sonar through the normal plugin installation mechanism of including the jar in the Sonar extensions/plugins directory and restarting the service
- In Sonar as an administrator: Configuration -> Settings -> Piwik
- Use the Piwik website details to fill out the parameters
- The Website ID, for example 2, can be taken straight from the websites page of Piwik
- The Piwik Server is the domain name or IP of the Piwik instance, for example piwik.mycompany.com
- The Relative Path on Server is the relative location of the Piwik website on the server. For example with the Piwik url of http://piwik.mycompany.com/piwik-0.6/index.php then this value would be "piwik-0.6". It can be empty if Piwik was installed at the root of the server.
- Click Save Parameters
If you look at the source of a Sonar page you should now see a Piwik script near the bottom of the page.
Returning to the Piwik service you should start seeing page hits from Sonar being shown within a few seconds as you browse Sonar.
- Configuration to set Piwik server instance
- Including Piwik script on each page once enabled