The C# Ecosystem is a Set of Plugins
The C# Ecosystem offers the following plugins:
- Mandatory plugins:
- Optional plugins adding features from external tools:
- .NET FxCop: launches FxCop analyses to detect violations relating to potential bugs, tight coupling, globalization, etc.
- .NET Gendarme: launches Gendarme analyses to detect violations relating to coding bad practices, smell detection, performance, etc
- .NET Gallio: launches Gallio to run tests and gets execution report as well as coverage report (using PartCover or OpenCover or NCover or ...).
- .NET NDeps: launches a dependency parser tool, built on Mono Cecil, to get dependency data between assemblies and classes.
- C# StyleCop: launches StyleCop analyses to detect violations mainly relating to coding style (formatting, comments, ...).
The C# Ecosystem has the following requirements on top of the Sonar ones:
- Your C# code base must be developed with Visual Studio, and thus must contain a ".sln" file (.NET Solution).
- If you want test metrics, unit tests must be isolated from the main code base in dedicated Visual Studio Projects. Also the test framework must be compatible with Gallio.
Supported versions are:
Up to 4.0
2.0, 3.5 and 4.0
3 and 4
Tested with VS 2008 and VS 2010 ".sln" files.
Older versions may also be supported (feel free to give feedback)
Installing the C# Ecosystem Plugins
- Download the zip archive that contains the latest version of the C# Ecosystem plugins and unzip it
- Copy the plugins you need into the SONAR_HOME/extensions/plugins directory
- Restart the Sonar server
Installing the External Tools
Depending on which plugins you chose to install, you may need to install the corresponding external tools. If you can, we advise you to install the same versions as the one we use for testing (i.e. the one in bold in the below table).
Install required if plugin selected?
Web site / download / install guide
Supported versions (Tested one in bold)
NO, StyleCop 4.7 binaries are embedded in the plugin.
NO, Gendarme 2.10 binaries are embedded in the plugin.
3.1 Update 2 + (3.2.3)
YES if you want to use PartCover as the coverage engine.
2.2, 2.3 and 4.0 (4.0)
YES if you want to use NCover as the coverage engine
YES if you want to use OpenCover as the coverage engine.
1.0.X, 2.0.X (2.0.8)
|JetBrains dotCover||YES if you want to use dotCover as the coverage engine.||http://www.jetbrains.com/dotcover/||1.X, 2.X (1.2 & 2.0)|
|NDeps||NO, binaries are embedded in the plugin.||https://github.com/grozeille/DependencyParser|
- These external tools need the .Net framework to be installed. FxCop10 needs .Net 4 but the other ones runs fine with .Net 3.5.
- StyleCop plugin relies on MsBuild to run the analysis.
- Former versions of the StyleCop plugin (1.3 and before) were embedding StyleCop 4.4, whereas new versions (1.4+) are embedding StyleCop 18.104.22.168.