Once Sonar installation is complete, you are ready to run analyses on your projects.
Scope of Analysis
Sonar has capability to perform analysis on 18+ languages. The outcome of this analysis is going to be mainly measures of metrics and violations of coding rules. However, what gets analyzed by Sonar will vary depending on the language analyzed:
- On all languages, Sonar performs static analysis of source code (java files, Cobol programs, etc.)
- Sonar can perform static analysis of compiled code on certain languages (.class files or jars in Java, dll files in C#, etc.)
- Sonar can perform dynamic analysis of code on certain languages (execution of unit tests in Java, C#, etc.)
To launch your Sonar analysis, the following clients are available:
- Analyzing with Sonar Runner (recommended client)
- Analyzing with Sonar Ant Task
- Analyzing with Maven
- CI Engines
For more information, see also:
Since Sonar 3.3, it is possible to analyze a multi-module project with different languages. For Sonar versions prior to 3.3, each of those modules needs to be analyzed separately by running a specific Sonar analysis. Then the results can be aggregated at project level, using the Views plug-in.