- is an agile and dynamic language for the Java Virtual Machine
- builds upon the strengths of Java but has additional power features inspired by languages like Python, Ruby and Smalltalk
- makes modern programming features available to Java developers with almost-zero learning curve
- provides the ability to statically type check and statically compile your code for robustness and performance
- supports Domain-Specific Languages and other compact syntax so your code becomes easy to read and maintain
- makes writing shell and build scripts easy with its powerful processing primitives, OO abilities and an Ant DSL
- increases developer productivity by reducing scaffolding code when developing web, GUI, database or console applications
- simplifies testing by supporting unit testing and mocking out-of-the-box
- seamlessly integrates with all existing Java classes and libraries
- compiles straight to Java bytecode so you can use it anywhere you can use Java
Experience Groovy 2.1
Groovy 2.1 is the latest major and stable version of the popular alternative language for the JVM.
To learn more about the novelties, make sure to read the detailed release notes. In a nutshell, Groovy 2.1
"Groovy is like a super version of Java. It can leverage Java's enterprise capabilities but also has cool productivity features like closures, builders and dynamic typing. If you are a developer, tester or script guru, you have to love Groovy."
A simple hello world script:
A more sophisticated version using Object Orientation:
Leveraging existing Java libraries:
On the command line:
Deploying groovy, continuous integration
Groovy can run anywhere the JVM runs - including many cloud platforms, likewise, continuous integration is just as easy. If you want to try out CI, and Cloud deployment of a groovy app - you can kick the tyres at CloudBees
This will setup a CI job (running tests and build, in Jenkins) and deploy the "pet store" app that uses the grails "pet store" demo app (you can use it for free). Prefer to set it up yourself, read here.
Latest news [more]