Welcome to the Berkano website.
Berkano aims to provide components which can ease the development of web applications. One of the targets is the user management area, covering the basic user data model up to password recovery strategies, etc...
Berkano tries to stay open: you should always be able to use the web framework of you choice, for instance, and/or only use the features you want from berkano, without being forced to use the whole thing.
Some modules of berkano are minimalistic and don't necessarily relate to the others. They have their own history, their own life and will eventually grow... or not. I'm willing to detach those from Berkano and make Berkano more coherent: this will happen if I get some time and will to do so, or if anyone is willing to take over any of those. Some stuff will probably just die away (the "simple tags" are just getting useless now that anyone with good sense uses a template engine instead of JSPs)
Summary of berkano modules
Here's a short summary of the modules and links to their pages:
These modules handle security and user management requirements in j2ee web apps. Enhancements or add-ons to existing security framework, an api for user persistence, password management, and ui components ready to be integrated in your own web apps.Read more.
- Berkano Seraph — An extension to Atlassian's Seraph http://opensource.atlassian.com/seraph, which uses Berkano User for user authentication.
- Berkano Seraph Taglib — A collection of simple security-related tags using Atlassian's Seraph http://opensource.atlassian.com/seraph and the Berkano Seraph add-on.
- Berkano User — A simple user management library. Contains a simple user model and a couple of DAOs, profile and password management components. Current dao implementations are hibernate-based. Should happily replace OSUser.
- Berkano User UI for WebWork — A handful of webwork http://www.opensymphony.com/webwork actions and views that use Berkano User. Provides an includable xwork.xml.
One of the main ideas behind starting Berkano - still far from mature unfortunately - provides a simple api to manage bookmarks: can be used to form navigation menus, in such a way that they're user customizable, for instance. Read more.
A bunch of tools or utilities that can be required by other Berkano modules (like Berkano Util), but which are in any case useable and useful outside the context of Berkano.Read more.
- Berkano Beandisplaytag — A simple taglib to display a bean in a table, à la displaytag http://displaytag.org, but with one bean instead of a collection, each property being a row instead of a column.
- Berkano Kiss Tags — A collection of very simple tags, like drop down boxes of number lists, ...
- Berkano TaglibUnit — A small framework based on HttpUnit's ServletUnit http://httpunit.sourceforge.net/doc/servletunit-intro.html to help testing taglibs.
- Berkano Util — A handful of util classes: a naïve cache, two hibernate custom types, a template-based mail utility package, an small IO utility api, an url helper for WebWork http://opensymphony.com/webwork, ...
- Puzzles — Puzzles' aim is to provide an easy way to add functionalities to an application through plugins.
- Taskman — A simple task assignement and event-based library
A couple of demos, samples and a sandbox for Berkano.Read more.
- Berkano Sandbox — This is a melting pot project that's partly a demo and partly a sandbox for other subprojects. (Berkano User UI for WebWork was born in there, for instance)