ActiveCluster is an API for writing cluster-based distributed systems together with an implementation which sits on top of JMS.
The API is simple and small which reuses a few of the standard JMS APIs for Message, Destination, MessageListener and adds a few simple interfaces for working with clusters.
ActiveCluster is a simple API which is easy to implement on top of any networking library such as raw sockets, JMS, JGroups or Jabber. It can be used to build a variety of different network protocols like...
- buddy-groups for Web based or EJB based session replication
- master / slave protocols for hot-standby protocols
- controller-voting protocols to elect a single node in a cluster to be the controller along with defining who will be the next node if the controller falls over as well as detecting the loss of the controller
- distributed lock manager
The default implementation uses JMS though we should be easily be able to add other implementations further down the line, like a JGroups implementation etc
I'm pleased to announce the 1.0 release of ActiveCluster, the open source cluster management & control framework.
This release completes the core API and reference implementation which includes the following features
- viewing the current nodes in the cluster and their state
- listening to nodes arrive, update their state, shut down or fail
- communicate with the cluster as a whole or with any specific node in the cluster
- elect a leader of the cluster to make decisions on behalf of the cluster
Future versions will include more complex higher level protocols like buddy-group arrangement protocols and HA features.
To download the binary or source versions of this release, please view the download page