How to Upgrade
Note that you can directly upgrade from one version to another. For example, to upgrade from version 3.1 to version 3.5, it is not necessary to first upgrade to version 3.2, then to version 3.3, and so on.
- Check the compatibility of the installed plugins with the new version that you want to upgrade to. This information will be of use at step #6.
- Read the upgrade notes below for each version
Stop the SonarQube server:
- Download and unzip the new SonarQube distribution in a fresh directory, let's say NEW_SONARQUBE_HOME
- Update the content of the sonar.properties and wrapper.conf files located in the NEW_SONARQUBE_HOME/conf directory with the content of the related files in the OLD_SONARQUBE_HOME/conf directory (web server URL, database settings, etc.). Do not copy-paste the old files.
- Copy the OLD_SONARQUBE_HOME/extensions/plugins directory into NEW_SONARQUBE_HOME/extensions/plugins (replace the plugins with compatible versions if necessary, see step #1)
- If a custom JDBC driver is used, copy it into NEW_SONARQUBE_HOME/extensions/jdbc-driver/<dialect>
- Back up your database
Start the web server:
- Browse to http://localhost:9000/setup (replace "localhost:9000" by your own URL) and follow the setup instructions
- Analyze your projects to get fresh measures
How to Roll Back
If, for some reasons, your upgrade failed, you can roll back by:
- Restoring your backed up database
- Updating the OLD_SONARQUBE_HOME/conf/sonar.properties configuration file to link to the restored database
Restarting the previous version of the web server:
Release Upgrade Notes
Usually the SonarQube releases come with some specific recommendations for upgrading from the previous version. You have to read the upgrade notes for all versions between your current version and the target version.