Welcome to the Berkano website.
Berkano aims to provide components which can ease the development of web applications. One of the targets is the user management area, covering the basic user data model up to password recovery strategies, etc...
Berkano tries to stay open: you should always be able to use the web framework of you choice, for instance, and/or only use the features you want from berkano, without being forced to use the whole thing.
Some modules of berkano are minimalistic and don't necessarily relate to the others. They have their own history, their own life and will eventually grow... or not.
Berkano is the name of the rune of the birch goddess: it is the container of all becoming/being. It is a collector and conserver of energy and a sign of enclosure and shelter. (no, this is not serious information)
I should dig my archives, I have a number of documents explaining the why's and what's of berkano ideas, which are probably still valid in a way or another
Summary of berkano modules
Here's a short summary of the modules and links to their pages:
- Berkano Beandisplaytag — A simple taglib to display a bean in a table, à la displaytag, but with one bean instead of a collection, each property being a row instead of a column.
- Berkano Kiss Tags — A collection of very simple tags, like drop down boxes of number lists, ...
- Berkano TaglibUnit — A small framework based on HttpUnit's ServletUnit to help testing taglibs.
- Berkano Util — A handful of util classes: a naïve cache, two hibernate custom types, a template-based mail utility package, an small IO utility api, an url helper for WebWork, ...
- Puzzles — Puzzles' aim is to provide an easy way to add functionalities to an application through plugins.
- Taskman — A simple task assignement and event-based library