Groovy is an agile dynamic language for the Java Platform that has many of the features that people like so much in languages like Python, Ruby and Smalltalk, making them available to Java developers using a Java-like syntax.
Groovy works cleanly with all existing Java objects and libraries and compiles straight to Java bytecode!
Groovy is ideally designed to reach the following purposes :
- developping in a quick, concise and fun way web applications. The Grails project shows you this evidence.
- bringing the power of a scripting language directly into the Java Platform
- writing test cases for unit tests very easy.
- prototyping and productizing real industrial applications
- writing shell scripts easily
Groovy can be used according your kind of application in two main modes :
- traditionnal byte code compiled applications
- purely interpretated scripts
Groovy is powerful thanks to :
- language conceptual enhancements
- Closure support, ie the ability to define piece of executing code handled like any other object
- native syntax for lists and maps
- builder notion, ie ... TBD
- regex operators
- native beans
- operator overloading to simplify working with datatypes Collections and Maps
- Polymorphic iteration and autoboxing
- extension of java objects api
- providing of very useful standard features
- Groovy Markup for XML, DOM, ...
- Groovy Path expression language
- Groovlets for implementing Servlets easily in simple Groovy scripts
- Ant Scripting
- Groovy Categories allow you to add methods to classes with the "use" keyword
- Groovy Template Engines which are pluggable, simple to use, integrate GPath and compile to bytecode
- Groovy SQL for making SQL more Groovy
- providing great user defined modules
- COM Scripting
Why Grovvy is a good choice for you