Developing web applications , writing shell scripts easily, writing concise, meaningful, test cases using Groovy's JUnit integration, or prototyping and producing real industrial strength applications have never been so concise and groovy.
Groovy works cleanly with all existing Java objects and libraries and compiles straight to Java bytecode in either application development or scripting mode.
Groovy provides powerful additional :
- language conceptual enhancements
- Support for closures - re-usable blocks of code
- Native syntax for lists and maps
- Support the Gof Builder pattern via the notion of builders
- Syntax level regex operators and escape sequences
- Native JavaBean support
- Operator overloading to simplify working with datatypes Collections and Maps
- Polymorphic iteration and autoboxing
- Extension of Java Standard Library through the GDK
- useful standard features to enhance developer productivity such as:
- Groovy Markup for XML, DOM, ...
- Groovy Path expression language
- Groovlets for implementing Servlets easily in simple Groovy scripts
- Ant Scripting
- Groovy Categories allow you to add methods to classes with the "use" keyword
- Groovy Template Engines which are pluggable, simple to use, integrate GPath and compile to bytecode
- Groovy SQL for making SQL more Groovy
- great user defined modules
- Grails : Groovy on rails for easy multi-tier application development
- Gram : a simple xdoclet-like tool for processing doclet tags or Java 5 annotations
- COM Scripting
- GroovySWT : wrapper around SWT , the eclipse graphical library
- Error rendering macro 'link' : Link needs a name and a URL as arguments.: accessing through groovy web services
- GSP : Groovy server pages
- GSQL : accessing databases through Groovy
- Process : handling external processes
- XML-RPC : RPC over HTTP really easilly
- Jabber-RPC: RPC over Jabber (including Google Talk)
- GORM : Grails Object-Relational Mapping
Enjoy making your code groovier !!!!