In order to Run Tomcat as a linux service, you should follow these steps:
- Install the wrapper service
- Create a tomcat environment definition script
- Create a tomcat launcher script
- Configure the wrapper service to run tomcat
- Link the tomcat launcher script to the init scripts directory
- Link the tomcat init script to the revelant init levels
Install the wrapper service
Download the wrapper service binaries for Linux (http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org)
Copy the binaries as defined in (http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org/doc/english/integrate-simple-nix.html):
- copy the wrapper file in $(tomcat.home)/bin,
- copy the sh.script.in file in $(tomcat.home)/bin and rename it to tomcat.
Edit the newly renamed tomcat file to ensure the following lines are defined.
Create the tomcat environment definition script
Create the $(server.home)/tomcat.env file with the content (dont forget to expand the $(xxx) variables with your defined values)