GeoTools is an open source (LGPL) Java code library which provides standards compliant methods for the manipulation of geospatial data, for example to implement Geographic Information Systems (GIS). The GeoTools library implements Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) specifications as they are developed, in close collaboration with the GeoAPI and GeoWidgets projects. The capabilities of Geotools are presented in the feature list.
Geotools is used by a number of projects including Web Feature Servers, Web Map Servers, and desktop applications, as is described on this page. Some screenshots of Geotools in action are also available.
Programmers wishing to use GeoTools in their own applications can get more information from the User Guide. Developers wishing to extend the GeoTools library can get started on the Development page and the Developer Guide.
GeoTools 2.3.x Stable Released
The stable branch is recommended for almost all users. The 2.3.x branch of GeoTools has improved the handling of imagery, and is the first to make use of GeoAPI Filter. This represents the first release made in collaboration with the OSGeo foundation.
GeoTools 2.4.x Release Candidate
Report bugs and submit patches for this version. This branch is closing a few final bugs before going live. Most of the developers are working directly with maven - so we have not made a download available for a couple of months. This is going to be the last branch available with GeoTools Feature.
GeoTools 2.5.x Development
This is where all the really exciting development is taking place. The switch GeoAPI SimpleFeature performed during the FOSS4G Code Sprint is available here. This release marks the return of the uDig project, and the long awaited return of swing widgets.
If your organization is making use of GeoTools please talk to us about project goals, time line and upcoming releases. GeoTools uses an open development process and your contributions can make the difference.
The following organizations ask that their logos be included on our front page.
The GeoTools Project is:
- run by the Project Management Committee (PMC)
(a group of volunteers who have made significant contributions to the project.)
- managed through an open development process, with public collaboration on new ideas . Project communication is open to all , and we welcome new contributions .
- a member of the Open Source Geospatial Foundation and is currently going through the incubation process
For more information please visit our About page.
News and Events
Create a blog post to share news and announcements with your team and company.
Edit this Website
Everyone is welcome to edit this web site; but we need to ask you to sign in first.
- Sign up to Confluence here: Confluence Signup
- Sign up to CodeHaus here: CodeHaus Signup
- Once logged in go to this page: Personal Details
- Use the form to fill in your Confluence Username from step one
You can now join the GeoTools project:
- Go to this page: GeoTools Project
- And click on Apply to join as a developer
- You will need to wait for approval
And finally edit any page on this wiki:
- To edit any page choose Page Operations > Edit