The following are the steps required to make a release of the Jikes RVM.
Leading up to a release, here are the steps to take. All commits are to tip (default branch).
- Update the release number in build.xml (will continue to have +hg suffix) and commit change
- Export the userguide from confluence. Update html and pdf versions of userguide and commit.
- Update JIRA version management to indicate that version has been released.
- Generate text release notes from JIRA and put them in NEWS.txt. Commit.
- Generate javadoc (apidoc target). If needed, fix errors and commit changes.
- Upload javadoc to static webspace on sourceforge (htdocs/apidocs/version). Switch "latest" symlink to point to version.
In a clean hg repository (no incoming/outgoing changesets). Perform the following steps
- Switch to the release branch (hg update release)
- Merge tip to the release branch (hg merge default; hg commit)
- Edit build.xml to remove the +hg from the release number and set the hg.version field. Commit
- Tag the release (hg tag <version>; hg push)
Clone a new .hg repository and create the release tar balls
hg clone http://hg.code.sourceforge.net/p/jikesrvm/code -b release jikesrvm-version
rm -rf jikesrvm/.hg
- tar cjf jikesrvm-version.tar.bz2 jikesrvm-version; tar czf jikesrvm-version.tar.gz jikesrvm-version;
- Extract the portion of NEWS.txt relevant to this release into README.txt (will be used for ReleaseNotes on SF file download).
Publish and announce the release
- Upload release tar balls and README.txt to sourceforge; set it as default download using Files GUI.
- Update the confluence Releases page to link to the new download version
- Send out mail announcements to jikesrvm-announce and jikesrvm-researchers
- Also post announcement in SF news and Confluence news.