The Google SoC has started and the six successful projects are underway. The projects cover a range of issues in the RVM:
- implementing that Java management extensions (JMX) in the Jikes RVM will allow greater monitoring with the use of standard tools
- JDWP and JVMTI will add greater debugability to the RVM
- the implementation of new register allocator techniques will improve the performance of the RVM
- implementing new garbage collectors for MMTk will increase its usefulness
- vectorization will enable the RVM to become a test bed for dynamic compilation for vectorization
- instruction scheduling will add greater flexibility and performance to the optimizing compiler
We look forward to these great contributions to the RVM and thank the SoC project applicants for working on them!