Installing the prerequisites / dependencies
The Jetty RPMs need some prerequisites such as java and ant. These may be included by hand or a tool like yum or up2date may be used.
There are differences between the distributions in the packaging, versioning and availability of these prerequisites and this page is only and indication of some install paths. The documentation for your distro is probably a better place to look.
Jetty RPM Dependency Structure
- jetty6-samples RPM: Requires: jetty6
- jetty6 RPM: Requires: jetty6-lib
- jetty6-lib RPM: Requires: jetty6-servlet-2.5-api and jetty6-jsp-2.1-api
- jetty6-servlet-2.5-api RPM: Requires: none
- jetty6-jsp-2.1-api RPM: Requires: ant >= 1.6.5
- ant 1.6.5 RPM: Requires: crimson 1.1.3, xml-commons 1.3, xml-commons-jaxp-1.3 (these RPMs including ant can be found at jpackage repository)
Using Yum for dependencies
Yum is a tool that can find and install dependent RPMs and is used by some distributions like fedora.
First you will need to add JPackage Yum Repo so that 3rd party RPM Dependencies of Jetty can be automatically downloaded and installed, dependencies such as ant, crimson, xml-commons, and xml-commons-jaxp
Note: The http://jpackage.org site is a good source of java RPMs and information.
The dependencies can now be installed with yum commands:
Note it is also possible to create a local yum repository to hold the jetty
RPMs and then a single command can be used to load Jetty and it's dependencies (see below).
If yum (or similar) is not available, the dependencies may be installed manually:
Java is also needed.
- installing Java 1.5 using yum, execute the code below
- setting up JAVA_HOME, on root account so that jetty will be able to find JAVA_HOME, in your /etc/profile.d/ add a file named java.sh containing the code below
- execute the code below to apply the newly created environment varialbles
Installing Jetty RPMs
Creating Jetty Yum Repository
- You need to Create a yum repository, so that your yum application could locate your Jetty RPM files, that it needs
- Create a local yum repository, add a repository configuration file in your /etc/yum.repos.d/jetty.repo containing the code below
- execute a createrepo command to add necessary files for your repository
Installing Jetty Sample
- Jetty Samples RPM Includes, Test and JNDI Test
- To install these files, you need to install jetty6-sampless RPM, execute the code below to install
- installing manually