is an agile dynamic language for the Java Platform with many features that inspired languages like Python, Ruby and Smalltalk, making them available to Java developers using a Java-like syntax.
is ideally designed for the following purposes :
- Developing web applications in a quick, concise and fun way. The Grails demonstrates Groovy's capability in this area.
- Bringing the power of a scripting language to the JVM with seamless integration with the Java Platform}
- Writing concise, meaningful, test cases using Groovy's JUnit integration.}
- Prototyping and producing real industrial strength applications}
- Writing shell scripts easily
works cleanly with all existing Java objects and libraries and compiles straight to Java bytecode in either application development or scripting mode.
introduces powerful additional features to the JVM such as:
- Language conceptual enhancements
- Support for closures - re-usable blocks of code
- Native syntax for lists and maps
- Support the Gof Builder pattern via the notion of builders
- Syntax level regex operators and escape sequences
- Native JavaBean support
- Operator overloading to simplify working with datatypes Collections and Maps
- Polymorphic iteration and autoboxing
- Extension of Java Standard Library through the GDK
- In addition, provides useful standard features to enhance developer productivity such as:
- And providing great user defined modules
- COM Scripting